Getting new Monitor 24'

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hey Guys! I'm looking for a new monitor.

I got a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW which is working just fine. But I'm looking for a new main display with a higher resolution and just a bit bigger. So I'm still going to use the old monitor.

So I've been lurking around the market lately, and there are a couple of things i had in mind.

Brand: Prefer Samsung, open to others
Resolution: 1920x1050 vs 1920x1200 Thoughts?
Usage: Gaming primarily - FPS, RTS, MOBA
Size: 24 inches

What i've been looking at mostly:

Dell Ultrasharp
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2412M-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005LNDPPS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359905762&sr=8-4

BenQ XL2420T
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BENQ-XL2420T-monitor-inches-above/dp/B00ABJR274/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1359905762&sr=8-8

But i most say they are a bit pricey, and I'm not sure what resolution to get and Hz etc. etc. etc.
I'm most likely not going to use the 3D, and I'm not competitive.

So i hope some of you can help me shred some light on this, I'm open to suggestions!

Also i won't be buying from Amazon so discounts doesn't matter.

Regards Lazdaa

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
go with benq or the new asus 144 hz monitor that is around 280. i was considering the similar models and i went with 144 hz 1ms response asus since its better for gaming, dell is better for photography

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Okeh.

My biggest concern right now is whether to get a TN or IPS panel, since i only got an overclocked 7850, i'm not sure i will get the full power of a 120Hz/144Hz monitor without upgrading.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

depends on the game and graphic settings, i have a 7950. without overclocking i average 55-75 fps on ultra in bf3.

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I'm in the same place as you... searching for a monitor, having a hard time picking. On that end I have it narrowed to a few (unless others pop up, probably will). Dell U2312HM (e-ips), HP 2511x or 2711x (TN), or the AURIA EQ276W (s/h-ips). The only one I haven't seen is the Auria, but I hear a lot of good things. The HP was pretty awesome I have to say (glossy screen), and the dell was pretty great too. Who knows...

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
And just like that.. a new one popped up... Going to have to look into this one... could have something going for it.. New Asus . I don't play FPS really, more of an MMO kinda guy, but I can imagine the fast response/high refresh is good for all types of gaming.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

i have the asus and im loving it so far, been about 2 weeks. look at the reviews, 22 of 23 votes are 5 stars

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
@eyeage feel free to report back when you have settled on a monitor :)

As for my situation I am now pretty sure that I will get a monitor with IPS panel, but not sure which.

The Dell Ultrashart 23' got amazingly low lag input compared to a CRT. But the 27' Dell UltraSharp got a godlike resolution, but is quite expensive too.

The 24' is 16:10 which is arguably the best office monitor and good for photo stuff etc. But for gaming you should be better of with the 23' and the extra cash in your pocket. ( The 23' is almost 100 bucks cheaper that the 24' at my local sellers (Denmark))

After i have been lurking around in the monitor market for a while, i must say that the Yamasaki Catleap 2B Extreme 120hz 1440 Monitor (http://www.120hz.biz/yamakasi-catleap-q270-2b-extreme-oc/ ) looks incredibly tempting, but not sure about the korean market, shipping, warrenty etc. And it's around the same price as the 27' Dell UltraSharp

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I've decided on the Auria . It's one of the Korean panels that's sold locally at a store (has a warranty and can buy extended warranty). I'm going to get a small (17-20") TN monitor to use as a side monitor. I thought about the U2312HM, as well. Seems to be a very capable monitor, especially for the price. I'm currently playing on a 32" TV, however, and decided that 9" was too great of a loss.

I own a Dell Ultrasharp and I love it for photo work (also calibrated with Spyder) and games are ok. Well, I thought games were good on it until I bought a Asus VE247T.

2ms makes a huge difference in fps games. You should get lower response time monitor.

The Auria looks cool! Not bad.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
@eyeage The Auria actually looks like a pretty neat monitor. If only i had those prices in the Eu..

Its not even available where i live.

@envy12tpe i would love to get a 2ms monitor but only TN panels have 2ms as far as i know, and the colours from an IPS are astonishing.

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
@lazdaa

Yeah, it's basically a korean IPS panel (similar to the yamakasi) that you get a warranty on. Pretty sweet deal for $400. As far as the 2ms goes, meh, if you play only FPS, it might be worth it. Even then, I'd be looking at the new 144hz asus instead.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Yea the Yamakasi uses the LG LM270WQ1 panel, where the Dell U2711 uses a LM270WQ2.

If i should get a TN panel it would definitely be a 120/144hz panel. But right now i'm leaning towards the IPS panels

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
So an update of the situation..

I'm looking at pretty much just 3 monitors:

1. Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005MHMFJA
This was my original thought, as it is still a bit bigger than my current, got the FullHD, IPS panel, and one of the lowest lag inputs available compared to a CRT.

2. Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM 27 inch http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrash...dp/B0093IW14I/ Then my brother suddenly got his opinion in on the subject, and he recommended the high resolution monitors like this Dell, which i also think is quite cool... But they are also very pricey compared to the 23'.

3. Some Korean Monitor, Yamakasi Catleap etc. - I'm quite worried about all that shipping, warranty, taxes things. So not sure what to think here....

So as I'm standing right now, I'm rather confused...

Hi - The ultrasharps will have a slightly slower response time, but are quality
IPS monitors. Look for deals, they come up often. Also, suggest you look
at the u2412m instead of the u2312, as it is anexcellent price/perf monitor.

Tom

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

I don't think the input lag on the two are the same. Since a lot of people concern themselves with input lag and response times I would go with the 2312 if I were willing to lower screen size. For that matter, if I was willing to lower screen size I would've bought a 120Hz and an IPS 2312HM. That said, I went with the Auria 27" s-ips from microcenter. Only a couple of negatives for me thus far. First, the AG coating is a little aggressive, but I'm learning to live with it. Second, there's some vertical banding on the tests (not noticeable outside of the tests). I should also mention that the banding only occurs when the color gradient scale is tested. There's absolutely none on solid screens. Third, the text is very small, but obviously that's a 1440p issue and not a monitor issue.

The panel uniformity is great when concerning bleeding (no washed out corners on a black screen) and no dead pixels. Brightness is WAY too high out of the box. Grey levels are great, though (obviously seeing that it's an IPS) the black levels aren't OMGWTF awesome (compared to my Kuro they're... meh). That said, the shadow detail is very good. There really aren't any games out right now that I'm willing to buy to test this monitor... so if you all have some free games that I should try.. let me know. Otherwise we wait for ESO and ARR. Maybe BF4 too (I considered buying BF3, but not with people saying BF4 around the corner).

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I would love to get an Auria like yours, but sadly it isn't available in my country.

Anyways i would love to hear some recommendations on 1440p monitors?

The only "decent" one i found was the Dell U2713HM, which looks quite nice but it would be nice to have something i could compare too.

Also does anyone else do they thing with korean panels into "their own" like the Auria?

I hear what you are saying about TN. Color reproduction is better on my Dell (IPS) than my Asus (TN).
However, for gaming the Asus is worlds better. Also, it was almost half the price of my Dell.

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

As I haven't gamed on a 120Hz panel, I can't speak for it. But comparing my Auria to a 60Hz TN panel is a joke really... no comparison. Honestly, I have a great gaming experience on the Auria, as well. I can't see the issue anyone would have. It's very smooth, no input lag, and it's colors and resolution allow for easy discernment of enemy players. I couldn't be more pleased. It's possible that someone would get a benefit of a 120Hz monitor, I'm just not sure it's me. 1440p is worth more than 120Hz to me. Not to mention OP would need a PC that constantly put out 90fps+ to really see a benefit. That said, OP would need a capable PC to push 1440p, as well.

Curious what makes your Asus "worlds better"? Most of the comments I've seen indicate people with both tend to never use (and eventually sell) their TN 120Hz panels.

"worlds better". The movement (2ms) of the Asus blows the Dell (8ms) away. I love my Dell for color accuracy and photo work, but
for gaming I enjoy the Asus more. No lag, no ghosting...just speed.