Help choosing a good gaming monitor please.

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello, I currently have a 900p monitor that is quite aged and I am looking to upgrade. I would like the new monitor to:

1. Be $100-200.
2. Be at least 1080p but preferably higher as I have an HDTV I game on as well.
3. Have HDMI connection.
4. Have dark blacks, vivid colors, crisp images.
5. Be a decent size, preferably in the 20"s.

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I've mostly used newegg and I enjoy it. are the ASUS monitors crisp, vibrant, and worth the money? I wanted higher res than 1080p if possible, but I'd rather have quality 1080p than a crappy higher res monitor

so 2ms, LED, and a high ascr are the best specs to look for?

If you want higher resolution then it's going to cost more than your budget amount , the 2560x1440 monitors are going for over $500.
I also look at the available ports that a monitor has and I want it to be DVI-D and/or Display Port. A good refresh rate is also something to look at (55-75hz) vertical. Also height and tilt positioning is an added convienence.

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I prefer a speaker-less one unless the speakers are of very good quality? I just assume they're pretty weak, and I have logitech speakers so I figure I'd always use them instead

the speakerless ASUS looks good, are they a good line of monitors? are they comparable to dell ultrasharps?

how is this one? pretty good deal:
http://bit.ly/XkO0EN

Looks good , the Asus monitors have become pretty popular recently and they are very good. Don't forget there are a lot of different monitors out there and a lot of good ones as well , so you have a good chance of getting a very good one even if you don't go with the Dell. Sansung , Asus , HP , BenQ , Lg and Dell all make good monitors and the competition is fierce.
The Dell monitor you listed looks like a good deal.

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Ill probably be ordering a monitor friday when I get paid, I have to find a desk as well and want the monitor to come first. is that the best deal around still? Im looking for a good size good spec IPS monitor with hdmi port(s)

xvsanx

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

it depends on your preference, I am very happy with my 23" 1080p Dell Ultrasharp monitor, it's big and crisp like an HDTV of monitors. when you go to 1200p, you have to pay a bit more to get a quality monitor, and games don't support 1200p as much yet but if you want to invest then it seems like the better choice

ChazzyB17

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

The ASCR is ASUS' way of telling you the color aspect ratios, so not all moniters have ASCR :)