Sign in with
Your question

Psu blew out after i ordered a £200 graphics card :(

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2013 10:57:52 AM

Hello, i ordered a 7870 2GB last night and i then went to play Dayz with my mates, 30 mins in i hear a loud bang (2bangs) and my computer and all sockets turned off (TV downstairs and everything but the lights didnt) i tried another psu power lead and it popped again (think the fuse went) so now today i have to order another one and my 7870 arrived so i need a good psu for it, i only have £60 i cant go a penny higher. i was looking at this one;

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/600W+Corsair+Build...

It has 2x6 pins for my 7870 and 600watts with 80+ efficiency so is this worth it and will it be compatible with my M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard ?
im just praying to god it hasnt blew out my CPU and everything because then im really in the crap.

Thanks for reading im ordering the psu today so any replys would help me alot.
Thanks again
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:11:08 AM

its a solid budget PSU, plenty of power for your AMD 7870 set up
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:11:39 AM

and seems a good price :) 
Related resources
February 14, 2013 11:12:32 AM

dirtyferret said:
its a solid budget PSU, plenty of power for your AMD 7870 set up

Ok im ordering it right now, all i needed was someone to say that lol
but this will be compatible with my motherboard ?
February 14, 2013 11:12:46 AM

an 80+ 600W supply is plenty good, Cosair make nice supplies imo. Mine's been running perfectly now for the last 4 years.
February 14, 2013 11:14:16 AM

btw does anyone think my whole motherboard,cpu has blown out ? is there anyway i can check ?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:14:25 AM

icemunk said:
an 80+ 600W supply is plenty good, Cosair make nice supplies imo. Mine's been running perfectly now for the last 4 years.

FYI, corsair does not make PSU they just sell them
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:16:03 AM

Tekyteky said:
Ok im ordering it right now, all i needed was someone to say that lol
but this will be compatible with my motherboard ?

yes its compatible

has the 24 pin and 4 pin you need--actually it has an 8 pin that splits into 2 x 4 pin
February 14, 2013 11:17:34 AM

Thanks all, im just now praying to god (as i said before) that all my other components are fine, ill just wait until it arrives tommorow i guess and test it out :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:18:26 AM

Tekyteky said:
btw does anyone think my whole motherboard,cpu has blown out ? is there anyway i can check ?

no way to tell with out testing the motherboard. getting a new PSU is the easiest way to do that. hopefully your old one was not a bargain bin special with no safety features
February 14, 2013 11:22:34 AM

dirtyferret said:
no way to tell with out testing the motherboard. getting a new PSU is the easiest way to do that. hopefully your old one was not a bargain bin special with no safety features

i think its good, on the back it says it has this Anti surge thing that prevents overvoltages and potential damage spreading to my motherboard and other compoments. but whats the chances that my things are ruined? is it a high chance or low? it looked to me when i tried another lead that popped and i think its something inside the psu when putting the lead in, so hopefully then it wont have got my cpu etc, im not good at anything like this but thats just my uneducated guess.
the motherboard is a M5A78L-M btw Asus
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:25:13 AM

i have no clue, you can look for possible burn marks on the mobo but still lack of them does not mean it works. you simply need to test it
February 14, 2013 11:29:03 AM

dirtyferret said:
i have no clue, you can look for possible burn marks on the mobo but still lack of them does not mean it works. you simply need to test it

i do have a low profile psu i could test on it but i dont have a lead as the fuse blew out last night :(  ill just wait yeh and i know this seems liek a stupid question but the psu will come with the power lead right ? just wanna make sure
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:40:38 AM

it comes with a power cable (at least in the states, don't see why it would change)
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 11:49:31 AM

never bought a psu in the uk that didnt come with one
February 14, 2013 11:55:25 AM

thanks, im guessing thats it now, if it doesnt come with on im sure i have one somewhere in the house, ill test it tommorow and hope it doesnt blow.
wish me luck :) 
February 14, 2013 12:18:47 PM

i've looked on the motherboard and theres no scorch marks it all seems intact, checked the ram, pci slots and as i said, it all looks how it was when i bought it, my question is that if it tripped the switches in the house does that mean it could be any worse than it already is? im just really anxious to know and i have to wait until 3oclock tommorow to find it, is there anything else i could do?
February 14, 2013 2:44:55 PM

so im guessing i will just have to wait till tommorow to see, im just really hoping only my psu is dead and not my motherboard,cpu etc
February 14, 2013 3:25:06 PM

update: tried a low profile psu in there and my motherboards on light was green but the machine wouldnt start up, but i remember the psu i just tried being broke and the last time i used it the same thing happened, the motherboard light was on (on my slim pc) but it wouldnt turn on, hence why i got the pc i have now.
So now i know the motherboard does work will i just be able to put my new corsair psu in tommorow and will work or could there be other problems?

can anyone help me please ?
Thanks
!