Quiet/Silent Case or cheaper case with seperate quiet fans? Budget £90

wfms

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
How's it going guys! Been a user here for quite a while but I've never been the forum posting type. :lol:

I'm upgrading from my old Gigabyte Poseidon case to a new case and I was wondering if it was better for me to buy a case that's said to be quiet/silent. Or buy a cheaper case and separate quiet fans? Budget is around £90.
Please note I live in Ireland so I won't be able to order from places like NewEgg (Oh NewEgg... You and your amazing pricing and rebates you. :cry: )
But I can order from places like Amazon.co.uk, Overclockers.co.uk or Scan.co.uk.

I was thinking of buying something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z9-P...QL0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361993467&sr=8-1
with 4-5 of these fans http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-104-TR for the front, back, CPU heatsink etc. but am not sure if it would be better than a case branded as quiet/silent

It's a mainly a PC that's used for gaming and Internet surfing.

Here are the specs for a rough estimate at the amount of cooling that would be required:

Intel 2500k OC to 4.5Ghz with Hyper 212+
Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme
8GB Corsair 1600Mhz Ram
Corsair TX650 V2 - 650W PSU
2 HDD's.

Thanks a million for your help fellas! :)

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
quite frankly either option will work and both options are relatively good for what you're working with. However, personally I would go with the better/more expensive quiet case over the cheaper case and good fans. Reason for that is if you buy a cheaper case you'll be fin/ok with it. If you buy a better/nicer case you will like it maybe even love it... and that makes it that much better. I speak from experience... I have been in both situations.

I know for a fact that the corsair 500r is relatively in general... pretty good with cable management and ease of use. And very quiet for a case... near silent. Take a look, I urge you to consider it ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Carbide-Micro-Tower-White/dp/B005E97ZUU/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362007600&sr=1-2

strangesteve

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I put together an i5 system with Antec Sonata IV and it was almost silent, it goes down to under £90 on Amazon sometimes, with a usable 620W power supply. The only thing I did not like about the case though was the opening front panel to switch it on etc, and no real cable management.

wfms

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the help guys!
I think I'm gonna go with the Fractal Design Define R4. Heard some great things about that case :D

One last thing I was wondering is if I should still get a couple of those thermalright fans to replace the heatsink fan and add an extra case fan.
Any best position for the case fan? As a Top, bottom or maybe another intake fan?

Thanks for all the help! Really, really, really appreciate it! :D

EDIT: Hmmm... Seems the R3 is £15 cheaper than the R4 on Scan. Is the R4 worth the extra £15?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
If I recall correctly some people make what is essentially kind of a push screw made out of silicone which you use for holding the fan instead of screws so it cuts down on vibration. I would look into those as well if you want silence. I almost want to say they called them gromets or something. It's been awhile since I've looked for them but it should be easy enough to find as it's made for computer fans.

Typically they are expensive but you look around a bit you can find them cheap as theres not much to them.