1st build advice needed <£600

I am looking for some advice as this is going to be my first build from scratch.

so i use 2 1080p monitors atm (may want to upgrade to 3 in future)
I mainly use the system to surf the net, I need to have lots of pages open at once. I use photoshop quite a bit too, I dont really game but wouldnt mind having a little play every now and then.

I have a budget of around £600 but if it was less it would be great

this is what im thinking so far:

Case: Zalman Z11
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-VLX
CPU: intel i3-3220
RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
SSD: 120gb(unsure which)
PSU: 600w corsair builder series cx600
Graphics card: unsure???

your thoughts on this and advice ????
5 answers Last reply
More about 1st build advice needed 600
  1. Here's a build well within your budget

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£88.74 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£52.74 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£171.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£47.99 @ Novatech)
    Total: £476.07

Since you are wanting to have multiple tabs open + perhaps photoshop + stuff across 2, 1080p monitors I'd recommend going with 8 gb of RAM, the price difference is maybe £20, quite low.

If you don't have a K series chip, there's no point going for a Z77 motherboard. This B75 motherboard has a better feature set for that chip.

There's no mechanical hard drive in the build at the moment, so you'll only have around 100 gb of storage space for your own files. If you want more you can get a 1TB mechanical hard drive for around £50.

This build will run fine on a 500w PSU rather than a 600w one.

The SSD performs well and is at a good price.

The graphics card is a very solid choice for the price. You cannot find better for £200. If you're not going to game on the computer that much though, I'd probably go down a step in the graphics department (to a 7850 -- around £120 for the 1gb version) and up to an i5 (either the 3350P or the 3450/70, whatever can be found for a better price). Both cards will handle 3 monitors at 1080p for 2D tasks. The 7850 will game very well on a single 1080p display, the 7870 will game extremely well on a 1080p display, and probably handle some non-cutting edge games on 3 1080p displays.

OS is up to you, there is quite a bit of space in your budget for it, but if you find you have extra cash to burn, I've listed a couple of upgrades possible above.

All the best,

2. ok thanks for that just one question

i have this message showing on pc parts picker does it matter??

Compatibility Notes
    MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports
  3. It means you have a connector on your motherboard which your case won't be able to use since it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports on the front. You could change to another case with USB 3.0 on the front but it's hardly necessary, unless you have a lot of USB 3.0 devices. You'll still be able to use the standard USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case of course, the motherboard has a separate connector for those.

4. ok thanks so much for the help its very much appreciated i am ordering now :)

oh and another question will i get all the necessary cables/connectors with the parts or will they need to be bought separate???
  5. Everything you need will be there. The case will come with all the screws and stuff. The motherboard usually comes with atleast 2 SATA cables for the hard drive/s, and that's pretty much what you need. Depending of the connectors for your 1080p screens you may need an adaptor or two as they don't always come with the graphics card. The card has as it's video outputs: one DVI port, one full-sized HDMI port, and two mini-DisplayPorts.

To install Windows you'll either need a DVD drive or better and easier a copy of Windows on a USB thumb drive.

If it's possible change your order on the power supply to this one http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m it's better value than the 500w one, and I've heard that the 7870 XT is very power hungry so it will potentially lead to a more stable system. Also it will last you through more upgrades. It's only £7 more.

All the best,

Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems