Sign in with
Your question

New build gaming rig help £700-£800 budget

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2013 1:34:05 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: probably mid August.

Budget Range: Budget is between £700 and £800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This will be primarily be used as a gaming rig I want to try and *future proof* it as they say.

Are you buying a monitor: No, using an old one (don't know if that will be an issue)

Parts to Upgrade: well it's a new build so I need all components apart from the screen, mouse and kb.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: well I priced it all up at amazon.co.uk but I will probably hunt around for the cheapest price.

Parts Preferences: I'm not to fussed, would prefer well known brands that have a good track record on parts. Quality over quantity :D 

Overclocking: I'm hoping not to as I never have done before, but might be something to look into in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Don't plan to in the near future.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I'm looking to make an efficient gaming machine, quiet would be preferential, but performance for my budget is the top priority, obviously I don't want the thing to overheat mega quick either.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: well I'm currently using a gaming laptop. Specs are as follows, AMD phenom II P920 quad core 1.6ghz. Ati mobility Radeon HD 5650. 4GB ram. 500GB ATA drive.

Below you will find a build that I made that was within my budget so any tweaks or suggestions would be more than welcome, I have done a bit of homework on it and would just like some input. Ok the build I made up is as follows

Processor: Intel i5 3570k

Motherboard: Asus p8z77 got a choice of the top 2 here but it was the £90 one that was within my budget.

Ram: Corsair 8GB it was the first one on that page but I was unsure what the difference was between them as there all 8gb.

Graphics: Evga GeForce GTX 660Ti

Hard drive: Western Digital blue 1TB 7200rpm

Optical drive: Lite-On 24xdvdrw either of the top two on this page.

Case: Coolmaster elite 430 mid tower

Power supply: Corsair cx750 750 watt

All of that should land between the £700 - £800 mark according to my calculations

My apologies if the thread was long winded, but any assistance you can throw my way would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys :) 
March 6, 2013 4:17:08 PM

Looks nice. Should game like a champ. Don't see any real problems. Have fun.
March 6, 2013 4:20:19 PM

Hi, do you plan to overclock the cpu ?
Get the hyper 212 evo if you do.
Related resources
March 6, 2013 4:22:52 PM

properbuilds said:
Hi, do you plan to overclock the cpu ?
Get the hyper 212 evo if you do.

I wasn't planning to in the near future would you feel the need to over clock it?
March 6, 2013 4:27:20 PM

Hi, you don't need to, but since you listed the i5-3570k and a z77 motherboard, i thought that you wanted to.
Also you don't need a psu with 750W for a single 660 ti, something in the range for 500W is more than sufficient.
March 6, 2013 4:30:55 PM

In the near future I wasn't planning to, but this is my first build so I'm kind of new as to what does what, all of that list for my build was through Internet recommendations on forums as such. Sorry for the confusion :)  plus I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to over clock lol
March 6, 2013 4:33:31 PM

properbuilds said:
Hi, you don't need to, but since you listed the i5-3570k and a z77 motherboard, i thought that you wanted to.
Also you don't need a psu with 750W for a single 660 ti, something in the range for 500W is more than sufficient.

As for the psu, that's good to know cheers. I did read somewhere its always better to have more power than you need I case you plan to upgrade, but I assume 750 is a tad overkill :) 
March 6, 2013 4:58:07 PM

Hi, it's a bit overkill, for a single card setup a quality psu in the range of 500-600W will do.
March 6, 2013 5:31:41 PM

properbuilds said:
Hi, it's a bit overkill, for a single card setup a quality psu in the range of 500-600W will do.

Ok good to know :)  any suggestions on a decent psu that would do the trick?
March 6, 2013 6:21:12 PM

Here's another really solid option for the PSU. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S12II-520-ATX12V-Stand...

They're a bit cheaper in the US, so I tend to recommend them a lot for US builds, esp. the 620w one. You can also get a semi modular flavor (the M12ii) for a few pounds more.

If you're new to building a computer, and you don't want to overclock, simply don't! It just adds noise, cost, heat and if done incorrectly instability to your build, for just a few more points in 3Dmark, or a couple more FPS. A build like yours will run modern games flawlessly, with or without overclocking.

The reason why Z77 and 3570Ks get recommended so often however is that they are designed with over-clockers in mind, and a large part of the computer building community does enjoy overclocking. Assuming you don't want to overclock though, you can buy components which run just as well as the overclocker's components at stock settings, but without the associated price premium, money that you can put back into better components elsewhere on the computer.

If you don't want to overclock I'd recommend getting these items instead:

i5-3470 (a little slower than the 3570K, but you won't notice the difference at all in gaming, it's more the architecture of the chip itself that's important) - £30 less than the 3570K (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-3470-Processor-3-20GHZ-Socket/dp/B0083U94CO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362600886&sr=8-2

Asus P8B75-M (save yourself some cash and go for the Micro-ATX version. You won't notice the difference unless you want 4 sticks of RAM for some reason). - £45 less than the Z77 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P8B75-M-LX-Motherboard-PCI-Express/dp/B008P4ZS64/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362600686&sr=1-1

Then again if you're thinking about it (perhaps read up on it a little) it would be best to go for the K series and the Z77 now, for the extra money, rather than having to change later on down the line at an even greater cost. Overclockers tend to be the sort of people who continue to mess around and fiddle with their PC once it's built (a bit OCD). Non-overclockers are those who actually want to play games :p .

The Corsair memory you linked is solid. For Amazon UK though, I've always thought their Patriot kits are a steal. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-2133MHz-Channel-Viper-Memory/dp/B008LTJJI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362600931&sr=8-1 would be my recommendation. It's £5 more but you get 2133 Mhz memory rather than the 1600 from the Corsair. You also don't have the super high heatspreaders, which can be an issue for some big CPU coolers.

For £20 more than the 660 Ti you linked (which you've more than saved if you go with the cheaper motherboard/CPU) I'd go for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-7950-Radeon-Graphics-Card/dp/B0071LP5ME/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362601111&sr=1-2. 7950s are generally considered much better than 660 Tis at this price range, and more on par with 670s. If you really want to go for the Ti by all means do, but with recent driver updates the 7950s are whopping their ass.

I +1 buying all your items from Amazon by the way. They have undoubtedly and by a very long way the best returns service in the business, which is important for computer builders since you are often buying expensive things that can be prone to failure.

At this sort of price range you might be able to squeeze an SSD in there, I would highly recommend it. It's makes a big difference in overall system responsiveness. 900p is a not the highest of resolutions, so you could get away with a cheaper graphics card (maybe a 7870) if you wanted to shift some funds. Then again if you are going for all out power, ignore the SSD.

All the best,

M
March 6, 2013 6:54:57 PM

Thanks for your response, was a good read, quite enlightening actually, thanks for that :) .

I would say im defiantly more of a gamer than an Overclocker. i just want a machine that can tackle any game i throw at it for as long as its capable, i do realise that's not all that long in the computer world lol.

So regarding the Processor and motherboard, i likes the options and the price drop and if im not overclocking its best to go with them? im not losing any oompf so to speak?

I like that your going one up on the graphics card, as i do realise there the core components for the games.

Again liked the patriot suggestions also the faster speed is nice.

i can always upgrade my computer screen in the near future as i probably will do, but i have an old one to make use of that will allow me to put more money into the tower itself.

Ok so regarding the SSD i realise there quite pricey especially if i wanted to go for a bigger size how much of a difference to the games would the ssd be? and would it not be more beneficial to just keep a more powerful graphics card?

Cheers :) 
March 6, 2013 7:25:28 PM

I'm glad I could be of help!

Yes go with them if you're not overclocking. The difference at stock clocks (0.2 Ghz) is pfft, nothing. The motherboard has no effect on the performance really, only the feature set it supports (overclocking or not etc).

Yes graphics cards are for 99% of games the deciding factor in how well they will run. Skyrim is one of the very few exceptions, but even then it's more of a balance between the CPU and the GPU than the GPU being useless.

120 GB is the typical size to go for. This is what I'd recommend if you were to go for one for £75: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7C5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362604424&sr=8-1 (have a look at the reviews). You can typically have 4-5 bigish games (GTA IV, things like that) along with your core programs and operating system. With Steam now it's relatively easy to swap games between the SSD and the mechanical depending on what you're currently playing through. The big games are the ones where you notice the most difference in load times anyway.

That depends what you mean by 'beneficial'. If you mean you want to purely maximise your FPS and that is all, then disregard SSDs. I think this is a typical case of people wanting more then they really need though and being too focused on the magical FPS (this was shown to be a bit a foolish mindset with the recent latency issues). With a 7950 you will be able to play games flawlessly at even 1080p, let alone at 900p. The next logical step up in graphics power would cost you atleast £75 anyway and would net you perhaps 5-10 FPS in most situations. It's not much when you're already playing at 70+ FPS on full Ultra.

What you will gain with the SSD is VASTLY increased load times for everything on it. Your computer will boot in near 10 seconds flat. Game loading bars will race across the screen. Applications like MS Office and your internet browser will open before you can blink. The PC will feel fast and responsive both in and out of games. I'm quite a fan of SSDs, as I think the vast majority of people are when they try them out. At the end of the day it's your build though, and I understand why you might want to put a little bit more into the graphics or just simply save the money.

M
March 6, 2013 8:06:02 PM

Ok full builds with the tweaks you guys have mentioned.

Full build
CPU: i5-3470 - £147.89

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M - £43.52

RAM: Patriot 8GB (2x 4GB) 2133MHz - £51.30

GPU: Gigabyte 7950 3GB AMD - £240.97

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - £41.24

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W - £62.50

Optical Drive: LiteOn IHAS124-19C 24x DVDRW - £16.99

Operating System: Windows 7 Home premium 64bit - £79.99

Option 1: £810 Full build +250gb SSD

Option 2: £759 Full build +120gb SSD

Option 3: £740 Full build + 1TB HDD

So those 3 are my options it seems. option 1 is £10 over budget, but on the grand scheme of things doesnt seem an aweful lot.

I feel that 120GB isnt that much space considereing what you can get. but by all means let me know what you think of the updated build and if the 250gb ssd is worth that extra cash.

Cheers for everyones help by the way :) 
March 6, 2013 8:47:22 PM

Mid august? I wouldn't start picking parts now. By the time it comes to purchase, these parts would be oudated, new games would come out that are more demanding, and prices will go down and new hardware comes out quick. I would ask again a few weeks before purchase. All these parts people are recommending that are good now, prob won't be in the next 5 months. You might even get a 1920x1080 monitor in the next few months.

And 128GB SSD is more than enough for OS, and most of your games.
March 6, 2013 8:51:27 PM

techdude9 said:
Mid august? I wouldn't start picking parts now. By the time it comes to purchase, these parts would be oudated, new games would come out that are more demanding, and prices will go down and new hardware comes out quick. I would ask again a few weeks before purchase. All these parts people are recommending that are good now, prob won't be in the next 5 months. You might even get a 1920x1080 monitor in the next few months.

And 128GB SSD is more than enough for OS, and most of your games.

well i need to save for it so i wanted to look at my options and get a feel for what im looking at as i have never done this sort of thing before, i would have ofc re evluated it closer to the time. :) 

i guess im just a bit over eager
March 6, 2013 8:58:33 PM

ulteria said:
well i need to save for it so i wanted to look at my options and get a feel for what im looking at as i have never done this sort of thing before, i would have ofc re evluated it closer to the time. :) 

i guess im just a bit over eager

Same here. A few months ago I was on here asking for suggestions for a $1500 pc. Here I am with only a $900 budget lmao

That GPU should last you 2-3 years tho. Remember prices will drop, and better hardware will be out.
March 6, 2013 9:01:13 PM

Hi, the thing is by August, there's the haswell cpus and new motherboards, it's certain that by then the lineup of the new intel haswell cpus is released and available to buy, and the new motherboards(lga 1150) for it, you can expect also to other changes, my advice is to report back when the times comes, make a new thread, somebody will help you with the new parts :) 
March 6, 2013 9:03:00 PM

yeah, i will do, thanks for all the responses and help, glad i stopped by here :)  you guys are great. and very informative and thats just what i needed.
March 6, 2013 9:40:57 PM

Yeah I'd wait a bit, the GPUs probably won't have changed, but CPUs and motherboards will have.

The idea is not to ONLY get the SSD. You have the SSD as your C:\ or whatever and then you have a mechanical hard drive (1 TB sounds fine) as your D:\. That way you get the advantages of the SSD, without being limited by space (you have 120+1000, so 1120 gb of space, which should be plenty). This should cost somewhere between option 1 and 2, i.e. bang on budget :) . You can run programs and stuff off both, but the stuff that needs to load fastest (OS, newer games etc) goes on the SSD.

Look forward to updating you closer to the time you start your build ;) .

All the best,

M
April 9, 2013 6:06:32 AM

marshallbradley said:

For £20 more than the 660 Ti you linked (which you've more than saved if you go with the cheaper motherboard/CPU) I'd go for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-7950-Radeon-Graphics-Card/dp/B0071LP5ME/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362601111&sr=1-2. 7950s are generally considered much better than 660 Tis at this price range, and more on par with 670s. If you really want to go for the Ti by all means do, but with recent driver updates the 7950s are whopping their ass.

Marshall, have you got any recent benchmarks between the two? I'd be quite interested. Thanks
April 9, 2013 7:16:14 AM

marshallbradley said:
These benchmarks should be fairly accurate: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/645?vs=647

M

I had looked there just didn't know that version corresponded to boost! thanks! Do you think the vapor-x version of that GPU is better?
Just need to know if the price/performance is worth it comparing to the HD7870 XT now :) 
April 9, 2013 8:20:24 AM

In any case, at your budget AMD GPUs are the superior cards. Only in a select few instances (650 to boost vs 7790 and the Titan vs nothing) is nvidia winning the performance race. I would suggest a 7950 boost from gigabyte or sapphire ( or asus, but at those prices you might be able to get a 7970), or if you want a better processor (which won't increase the performance compared to a better GPU) then you'll want a 7870 xt.
April 9, 2013 8:20:27 AM

In any case, at your budget AMD GPUs are the superior cards. Only in a select few instances (650 to boost vs 7790 and the Titan vs nothing) is nvidia winning the performance race. I would suggest a 7950 boost from gigabyte or sapphire ( or asus, but at those prices you might be able to get a 7970), or if you want a better processor (which won't increase the performance compared to a better GPU) then you'll want a 7870 xt.
!