£800 budget - What should I build?

monki32

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an £800 budget for my new desktop. I want to get the most out of it.

First up, in terms of gaming and recreational use, is there any point in waiting for Haswell (and the larger price tag it will have)?

So the main question:

I already have my peripherals, and a cooler master HAF 912 advanced case. So what should I put in it?

I want to head into the z77 chipset, will be gaming, I do a fair we bit of inkscape work (and need the desktop as inkscape crashes my laptop).

I have my own ideas, but as I've never built before I would like to know what some of the more seasoned builders would do.

Cheers
Simon

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/H4as
I don't know if you want to overclock or not but in case you don't want to you can downgrade your cpu, use the stock cooler and save an extra 50-60 pound or so. This is 70 pound cheaper than your budget so you can add OS or extra storage, better gpu, get a better psu if you decide to SLI or CF

monki32

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Nice choice, would be interested in getting an 128GB SSD where possible for the OS and games I use regularly, any good choices out there?

Nowadays, I think every PC should include an SSD period. They’re waaaaaaaaay faster and they draw less energy, but unfortunately they do cost a significant amount more than a traditional hard drive.

Those who have some extra budget laying around, I’d definitely suggest going with a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro or 128GB Crucial M4 which ever is cheaper in combination with a 1TB hard drive. This will allow for plenty of hard drive space for storage while OS and application files may be placed on the SSD for that extra top notch performance.