+++Mystery Problem(s) Playing Crysis®+++

mzadotcom

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Wondering if I can get some advice figuring out why my system is having issues attempting to play Crysis.

***Rig Specs:***

Cooler Master® Stacker 830 SE Full Tower Case [M/N: RC-830-KKR3-GP] with Real Power Pro 1000 Watt PSU

GIGABYTE® GA-P35-DS3L Rev.2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard

Intel® Quad Core Q6600 CPU Kentsfield Socket 775 LGA 65nm @ 2.40GHz [Stepping B, Revision G0]

OCZ® DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz Vista® Upgrade Edition RAM [2 x 2GB]

Western Digital® Raptor X® 10,000 RPM 150GB HD [OS]

SAMSUNG® Spinpoint® F3 HD502HJ 500GB [Storage]

EVGA® GeForce® 9800 GT 512MB [rev. A2]

SAMSUNG® SATA Black DVD Burner with LightScribe© [Version SB02]

MITSUMI® Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Digital Card Reader + Floppy Drive

2 x Scythe® "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan

4 x APEVIA® [M/N: CF12SL-UGN] 120mm Green LED Case Fan [Side Panel]

[8 TOTAL Case Fans]

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP3 32-bit

19" SAMSUNG® SyncMaster® 906BW Wide Screen LCD Monitor [1440x900, 2000:1, 2MS RR]

17" Gateway® [M/N: EV730] CRT Monitor

I have a pretty strong rig. Before installing the 3-game combo of Crysis, Crysis Warhead & Crysis Wars, I've been playing with the official demo to make sure my system is fine. Everyone knows Crysis taxes even the most advanced configurations out there, but I've played a bunch of other graphic-intensive games [Halo, Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, BioShock, Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc.] using the same PC without ANY issues.

Use to play the demo with a EVGA® 8800 GTS 320MB before I nuked my HD & upgraded to a EVGA® 9800 GT 512MB. There were some hiccups with the 8800 GTS, never a major meltdown. The settings have always been @ medium to high, anti-aliasing turned off. Now, using the supposedly superior 9800 GT, the demo doesn't get past the first 5 minutes of gameplay. It just locks up, before the on-screen image breaks apart & a reboot is required. :sweat:

Only way to get out of it is by Ctrl+Alt+Delete [Task Manager]. Unlike with most games, the Windows key doesn't work. Soon after I get an error message saying that the display/GPU driver has stopped working/crashed as the screen resolution is set to something ridiculously low. I just installed the latest driver from NVIDIA [nvidia-forceware-ver197.45].

As the only game I'm really interested in playing, I've had to ran multiple stress tests [OCCT, PrimeCores, etc.] to get to the bottom of things. Have done so on my CPU, RAM, HD & new GPU. Even contacted EVGA support. The final conclusion seems to be that "everything is fine." There is proper cooling for the individual components & system, no over-heating, temps are where they should be, if not better than average, so everything is haläl [kosher] in Denmark.

So what's causing this issue? Has anybody else had this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MZÄ

mzadotcom

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

Ok, I believe I've found the solution to my problem, so posting this if anyone else has the same issue.

I was using EVGA® Precision® [ver1.91] to overclock my 9800 GT 512MB GPU, nothing too drastic, mind you.

url]

For some odd reason, giving the GPU *more* juice caused the graphic-intensive games I was wanting to play [Crysis®, F.E.A.R.2] to crash.

The solution: I reset the settings to default & voilà!, everything works like before.

Still don't understand why overclocking the GPU would cause games to crash :??: