Need help with stuttering and graphics

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I bought this PC not too long ago, with very little knowledge of just what I was buying. Still to this day I know nothing about computers, but could really use some help. My computer has been stuttering on games, and achieving a low average FPS on the games I want to run (GTA 4, ArmA 2, etc). The computer is great when on the internet, but when it gets down to gaming, it fails for me. With GTA 4 on low graphics it continues to stutter. Whenever I try to increase graphics, I get a huge FPS hit. I know nothing of what information I need to provide, so I'll just give you anything. I don't know if I'm running SLI or not. I just need to know if there is a way to fix this, or if I need to buy a new graphics card. This is what I managed to scavenge from my PC:

Graphics
Name: AMD Radeon HD 6670
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip Type: ATI display adapter
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Total Memory: 4095MB
Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: AOC 2343

DirectX Features
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX version: DirectX 11

All that information is completely alien to me, and would greatly appreciate a simple answer. I was considering a new graphics card, but thought I'd ask someone who knows about these kinds of things first. If there is any additional information you need, tell me how to find it and I'll try to look for it.

Thanks guys - Your help will be greatly appreciated. :)

D

Deleted member 1127758

This is just a guess but maybe your computer is not set to use your discrete card.

I'm not an expert though.

Glite

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
That gpu was considered a low end 1 year ago.

Now it's considered crap, but it shouldn't have a problem with the games you listed except for GTA 4 it's poorly optimized.

First of all is your computer a custom built or did you just go with prebuilt?

Well I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Firstly you may want to look into picking up a more up to date graphics card. The card you have is a low end card and is more then likely aimed at HTPC systems.

So you could pick up something like a 7850, or GTX660 and be good to go there.

2. You may want to check your memory timings / voltages within your bios I would make sure that you have your ram set properly. I was watching a video from TTL from TimeToLiveCustoms aka overclock 3D and he was explaining how a lot of the time the stuttering you may be experiencing is ram related.

This taken in regard of the games you are playing the resolution you play at and the system specifications you currently have.

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

It's prebuilt. When I got it I knew absolutely nothing about computers. At that time I hadnt even heard of alienware. I got a budget of around £280 to improve this and get it running smoothly for gta 4 and ArmA 2.

Oh easily with that amount of cash you could upgrade your machine. Firstly though could you tell me what your power supply is. The model number the manufacture, the wattage. You can tell by taking off your side panel and taking a look at the power supply sticker if you would be so kind in doing.

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

I can do mate, but right now I dont have time just yet. I will respond to you as soon as I can with the information, so please keep in touch with this post. I cant thank you enough for offering your help :)

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Hey is this what you needed:

Model: Advent DT1411
Rating: 230Vac, 3A, 47-63Hz
That was on the side of my PC when I looked.

I looked up the specifications you have a 420watt power supply.
http://uk.shopping.com/xSBS-advent-advent-dt1411-desktop-pc-joy-it-upgrading-pc-intel-e3500-2gb~PRDLT-105612935-121417322?sb=1

This is what I would suggest doing. I don't know the quality of the power supply so I would change it out to be sure given that your computer is a retail store bought computer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£171.62 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.17 @ Aria PC)
Total: £219.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 17:52 GMT+0000)

or if you like nvidia cards you could go with something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£229.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.17 @ Aria PC)
Total: £278.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 17:55 GMT+0000)

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Awesome. Are you sure all this would fit inside ok? It's perfectly in budget and seeing reviews of the 660ti makes me excited :p . Just need a little confirmation is all. Thanks a lot.

Nvidia cards are typically quite a bit smaller then the AMD cards so I think you should be good on the size within your case. What you can do for me though if you want/please is take a ruler open up your case and from your expansion slots to your drive bays how much room do you have?

In regards to the power supply I'm not worried the unit is pretty small and isn't like the 1 kilowatt units that are massive and long.

Also, btw this is your computer no?

557600759_tp.jpg

and your expansion slots look like so

images

yeahso

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Yeah thats definitely the computer I have. Still don't have the time to open it up yet but I can try on the weekend if it's important. I only just managed to get the model number by looking at a sticker actually on the outside of my case.

It may be important I would say though that you should be okay. I just brought it up because you want to be sure that your card CAN be housed within your case. Outside that I don't see anything really stopping you.