Sign in with
Your question

Do we have a dedicated new forum feed back/gripes/issues/complaints thread ?

Last response: in Forum Feedback
March 11, 2013 9:26:37 AM

Hi,
Well as the new forum is up and running there will obviously be teething issues, Such as all my badges having gone and why is there a banner asking me to signup for updates ? what updates. I'm not about to just sign up without some sort of details.

Cheer's

Mactronix :) 
March 11, 2013 9:31:44 AM

Good question. I see lots of random non-English characters and it doesn't update "new updates" window after I read them.
March 11, 2013 9:35:15 AM

Hey there!
Badges will be rolled out later this week, but no worries - they have not been lost. Additionally, all progress made between now and then on the new badges will be stored.

We're working out some issues with localization and the UK domain at the moment, and it should be resolved soon.

As for dedicated area, there's Forum Feedback which is where users are being directed to provide any issues or questions they might have about the new platform.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2013 9:37:15 AM

I don't like the signature block's location.

Also, hoping I can opt out of update emails from others who have also commented on an article (not thread) after already having posted...
March 11, 2013 9:40:14 AM

The banner asking you to sign up for updates is a rotating non-ad banner talking about some other features of Tom's. The update in question is (I believe) an email we send out from time to time about news and stuffs.
March 11, 2013 9:50:06 AM

Did the Moderator section disappear?

Ah, I see what's going on....I'm getting redirected to the .co.uk site.
March 11, 2013 10:06:46 AM

Mod section should still be around. You don't see it? If not, let me know.
March 11, 2013 10:22:46 AM

Nice to see you guys seem to be on top of things. So we give it a week or so and then start reporting bug's ?

Mactronix :) 
March 11, 2013 10:34:08 AM

mactronix said:
Such as all my badges having gone

Exactly man. I feel naked without them.
March 11, 2013 10:36:27 AM

Not at all - start reporting bugs immediately if you run into one. That's what I'm here for.
Don't consider yourself naked, sans badges. Think of it more as transitioning from a larval stage to butterfly. Or, moth, as the case may be.
March 11, 2013 10:41:08 AM

Yep, I'm definitely being dumped into the UK forum. on the main page of the forum, I have a section for General UK & Ireland Discussions, and limited mod rights.
March 11, 2013 10:47:36 AM

jpishgar said:
Mod section should still be around. You don't see it? If not, let me know.

I don't see it , I do see the UK/Ireland site but it doesn't appear to be a Moderator site. Joe do you see the Moderator Discussions ?
March 11, 2013 10:49:01 AM

aford10, need you to reconfirm your email with the system. That might be causing some of the problems. Mods may have been reset if they never did confirm their emails.
March 11, 2013 10:49:21 AM

Lol Teething problems! First log on .CO.UK next one .COM and still there but when checking my updated posts in the right hand column (only unread selected) I am getting list of every news article I have commented on in the past which did not happen in the old forum and many old posts displaying as answered by MM but really closed.
March 11, 2013 10:59:36 AM

Also, aford10, are you seeing your mod powers? Any mod powers at all?
March 11, 2013 11:07:28 AM

jpishgar said:
aford10, need you to reconfirm your email with the system. That might be causing some of the problems. Mods may have been reset if they never did confirm their emails.

jpishgar said:

Thanks Joe! I switched to a different email, then back to my normal one, and confirmed it, cleared my cache, and it seems to have worked. I can see the mod section now, and am back on the US server.
March 11, 2013 11:13:58 AM

Well, other than the forums running a little slow on my end (I'm certain this will improve once everything is in it's proper place :)  ) , everything else looks good so far.

March 11, 2013 11:21:03 AM

Awesome to hear, aford10! Will see if we can get the other mods back in, too.

As for the load time, we're still getting situated on the new servers, and it will take some time to cache. Once it does, we're expecting to see a marked increase in load times. Which, in conjunction with making the whole thing ad-free, should be pretty speedy.
March 11, 2013 11:27:30 AM

aford10 said:
jpishgar said:

jpishgar said:

Thanks Joe! I switched to a different email, then back to my normal one, and confirmed it, cleared my cache, and it seems to have worked. I can see the mod section now, and am back on the US server.

That's never worked for me and now I can't seem to get on the .com site.
March 11, 2013 11:30:20 AM

jpishgar said:
Awesome to hear, aford10! Will see if we can get the other mods back in, too.

As for the load time, we're still getting situated on the new servers, and it will take some time to cache. Once it does, we're expecting to see a marked increase in load times. Which, in conjunction with making the whole thing ad-free, should be pretty speedy.

There has never been an Admin Section on the .co.uk site, can it not just be added using this new funky software?
March 11, 2013 11:31:48 AM

There should be absolutely no difference between the UK and US sites now, other than the URLs. There were some redirection issues earlier that were sorted out - might have to take a look at those again.
March 11, 2013 11:45:00 AM

jpishgar said:
There should be absolutely no difference between the UK and US sites now, other than the URLs. There were some redirection issues earlier that were sorted out - might have to take a look at those again.

No, the situation with the front page is almost exactly the same as the only new section is Toms Network but there is still no Admin Section. I did just get an Email alert that you have posted to the spam filter thread though, and that's the first email I've had from this site in over fours years.
March 11, 2013 12:01:12 PM

aford10 said:
jpishgar said:

jpishgar said:

Fantastic. Just what I was looking for, as I am in the same boat :) 
March 11, 2013 12:03:09 PM

Currently, it looks like 9/10ths of the mods are in exile from Moderator Discussions, possibly a "reward" for participating in the beta, or something to do with groups permissions, or something to do with the redirect issues still being hammered out. Either or, no worries, the dark, cavernous batcave that is Mod Discussions is still there and the devs are working on fixing the problem.

On the plus side, most mods have their powers, and have seen their powers now amplified by the new interface. It will take some time to get used to where everything is, but I'm already liking this more, and I'm kinda picky about GUIs.
March 11, 2013 12:06:07 PM

The email trick worked ;) 
March 11, 2013 12:07:40 PM

I take it back. I can see the mod forum but get a 404 when I click.
March 11, 2013 12:12:35 PM

let's try this new thing............. cursor missing when you try and sign in. used to be there. now have to take that extra step to click in box.

some error, got stuck for 7 seconds ( and eternity in internetland ), hit the back button, went to some page, stayed for several seconds and then got redirected.

why did you guys change the site?

have to literally leave site ( go to home page ) and come back before it recognizes me being logged in.
March 11, 2013 12:16:09 PM

Proximon said:
I take it back. I can see the mod forum but get a 404 when I click.

Yep, same here.
March 11, 2013 12:16:58 PM

Like Afford, I'm being dumped into .co.uk which is a surprise because I thought it would have gone by now. I also have no Mod facilities and have cleared the caché but am unclear on the e-mail bit. I never had an e-mail - just a PM.

I also note that collapsing, say, Hardware on the main page is undone when you back-button from a sub-Forum page. In Wireless networking and other places, some Stickies are marked closed but one is invited to "Answer this".

These are minor issues - on the whole, the development team has done a great job and deserve a big pat on the back.

March 11, 2013 12:19:37 PM

Saga Lout said:
Like Afford, I'm being dumped into .co.uk which is a surprise because I thought it would have gone by now. I also have no Mod facilities and have cleared the caché but am unclear on the e-mail bit. I never had an e-mail - just a PM

Go to your profile page, and it'll have the email address you listed when you registered for the site. Change that to a different address, and then back to the one you want it to be. It'll send your email a link to confirm the address.
March 11, 2013 12:22:00 PM

I'm still missing some moderation options also. I can't edit posts, and I have mod rights over Saga Lout but not aford10.
March 11, 2013 12:59:32 PM

Any word on when/if we get our badges and status' back?
March 11, 2013 1:01:24 PM

Someone didn't like my last PM! They went and broke my inbox!! :lol: 
March 11, 2013 1:07:57 PM

tiny voices said:
Any word on when/if we get our badges and status' back?

They will be ported over later in the week.
March 11, 2013 1:10:08 PM

The badges, which you have not lost, will be forthcoming this week, so don't fret.

Mods, they are working to address the issue of redirection, Mod Discussion and mod powers at current.
March 11, 2013 1:15:54 PM

jpishgar said:
Mods, they are working to address the issue of redirection, Mod Discussion and mod powers at current.

Odd. I can get into the mod section if I copy and paste the link into the browser, but the drop down selection doesn't work, even though it redirects to the same URL.

March 11, 2013 1:40:41 PM

Hi Joe :) 

Not sure what happens when you or another Mod tries to click the SIGNIN link (top right) but for a normal user like me (lol) it either puts a TINY box in the middle of the page while the page is dimmed or just the X for closing said box....

The box is much too small to do ANYTHING ... apart from clicking the X to close it....whereupon the page comes back to life.... I "Assume" that box is meant to be big enough for a login name and password,,, but its not working properly (at least for me)

The site IS remembering me as BRETT928S2 (cookies as a guess) but I wouldn't want to log out as I am pretty sure it wouldn't let me log back in.... as the box will be too small or invisible...

Also the JOIN is doing precisely the same.. which means I suspect you will not be getting any NEW users :( 

All the best Brett :) 
March 11, 2013 1:43:31 PM

Another problem, I just tried to login to .com (rather than .uk)

I get this from the latest versions of FF...

QUOTE "The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies."

ENDQUOTE

March 11, 2013 1:44:18 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Not sure what happens when you or another Mod tries to click the SIGNIN link (top right) but for a normal user like me (lol) it either puts a TINY box in the middle of the page while the page is dimmed or just the X for closing said box....

The box is much too small to do ANYTHING ... apart from clicking the X to close it....whereupon the page comes back to life.... I "Assume" that box is meant to be big enough for a login name and password,,, but its not working properly (at least for me)

The site IS remembering me as BRETT928S2 (cookies as a guess) but I wouldn't want to log out as I am pretty sure it wouldn't let me log back in.... as the box will be too small or invisible...

Also the JOIN is doing precisely the same.. which means I suspect you will not be getting any NEW users :( 

It sounds like you are being redirected back to the old site (.com maybe?), I have been having similar issues.
March 11, 2013 1:48:35 PM

I know this is not a bug, but the posts are aligned to the left to leave room for the panels on the right, which is kind of OK. Scroll down a little and there will be lots of posts using only part of the screen and leaving blank space on the right. It's weird having to scroll more because there is blank space on the page. The blank space accounts for about a third of the page.
March 11, 2013 1:49:06 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Brett928S2 said:

It sounds like you are being redirected back to the old site (.com maybe?), I have been having similar issues.

Hi MM :) 

I tried a Straight >>> www.tomshardware.com and it still gave that message.... (possibly its TRYING to redirect me to .co.uk ...but its definitely failing)

Brett :) 
March 11, 2013 1:53:54 PM

Hi :) 

Wow even more fun lol...

I just tried to use IE and it actually got to Toms.com etc ... but.....

It said this as I tried the signin >>>>

Sorry!

The page you requested couldn't be found
Tom's Hardware

Dear Visitor. The page you requested couldn't be found :(  - If you followed a link from another Website please inform their Webmaster. If you happen to get this message while browsing Tom's Hardware please inform the Webmaster of Tom's Hardware.

Please check the URL in the address field of your browser. All pages end with .html, maybe it is .htm. You might want to use the Search Engine to find what you are looking for

Which I assume is why the signin is NOT working....

Also I see google icons etc up there now for signin WITH ...which I CANNOT see on .co.uk ...lol

March 11, 2013 1:54:01 PM

After a double e-mail change, I'm back in with some Mod rights but I still shows up in .co.uk and can't force myself to remain in the .com site. I don't want to go down the edit Hosts road again - perhaps it will sort itself out overnight. Even clicking the confirmation link took me to .co.uk.
March 11, 2013 2:10:43 PM

Hi :) 

Just as a side issue for noting,, why doesn't it say MASTER under my Porsche badge ?

Oh and also why no PM link ? (unless nobody wants to talk to me lol...which is entirely possible...)

March 11, 2013 2:35:11 PM

Saga Lout said:
After a double e-mail change, I'm back in with some Mod rights but I still shows up in .co.uk and can't force myself to remain in the .com site. I don't want to go down the edit Hosts road again - perhaps it will sort itself out overnight. Even clicking the confirmation link took me to .co.uk.

I've tried changing my email but I've yet to receive any conformation link.
March 11, 2013 2:40:29 PM

That's odd, both times I changed emails today it was instant.
March 11, 2013 2:49:12 PM

I keep losing the ability to post for a bit but at the same time have full mod powers! Oh the fun and games I'm going to have tonight! :lol: 
March 11, 2013 2:54:27 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I keep losing the ability to post for a bit but at the same time have full mod powers! Oh the fun and games I'm going to have tonight! :lol: 

Hi MM :) 

Your Avatar just changed as well... unless you already know that...

March 11, 2013 3:25:19 PM

The redirect issues, mod issues and access issues some of you are experiencing will likely be addressed when we roll out the badge update. We're shooting for tomorrow. Permissions is actually tied to reputation/badges, so I've been able to reconnect some of you as having your mod powers by manually removing you from a section and adding you to a section again. It's weird, and it's temporary, but it's only a short term issue.

Brett, you might want to clear your cache and log out and log back in. You might be caught up in the whole moderator kerfuffle because some of the early migration took place a couple of weeks ago. If you can't get in again, hit me up at jpishgar@bestofmedia.com and I can manually reset your password and email and all kinds of stuff to jolt the system. In the meantime, if you guys spot any of your other mods wandering aimlessly through the post-launch landscape, send 'em my way and tell them not to freak. We're workin' on it!
March 11, 2013 3:59:16 PM

I did what you suggested as I said in my PM to you....

Cleared cache etc. logged/signed out... closed FF ... tried to log back in.... small invisible window... with no room for user name etc... then went to Laptops section and its recognising me as Brett928S2 again....weird...

!