Introducing the New Tom's Hardware Community

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
March 11, 2013 9:52:49 AM

cool
Score
Anonymous
March 11, 2013 10:15:59 AM

I am done, my profile is now empty, 9.1k exp gone, no badges, no history, constant page errors now wanting me to go to crappy uk site, when us is only one worth reading,last straw QQ and goodbye favorite!

You Officially SUCK Toms!
Score
Related resources
March 11, 2013 10:20:34 AM

Your badges and reputation are fully intact, moricon. As I mentioned in the update, we're rolling badges out separately later this week. What page errors are you receiving? The redirects should be halting for you if you aren't situated in Europe (might have to hard refresh the page to purge the previous version). Even so, if you are, the .co.uk site is now a perfect mirror.
Score
March 11, 2013 10:27:51 AM

Small rant:

Can you guys use another type of blue and red to distinguish between the tracking topics and their updates, please?

Other than that, looks very nice.

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, inside the forums, we can't get rid of the right panel now?
Score
March 11, 2013 10:38:54 AM

What's wrong with red vs. blue? What would you recommend instead?
Score
March 11, 2013 10:42:24 AM

Before i thing there ware badges on us and uk site and given different. I know i was seeing either one of them but not together. I think that it is how it was, will this be the same? If so it will suck. Or does the site have a single badge system together?

I haven't checked it in a long time but i think that's how it was.

"The new reputation system rewards quality of posts" -i thought the old type did that as well. Will check it out.
Score
March 11, 2013 10:50:18 AM

If I click on a picture to enlarge it, is it going to be enlarged or am I still going to have to click further?
Score
March 11, 2013 10:51:08 AM

Can't edit the above post, it gives an error when i click "see the comments on the forums".
Score
March 11, 2013 11:06:28 AM

Quote:
Or does the site have a single badge system together?

The site will have a singular badge system once it is rolled out. No more different numbers of badges whether you are on the UK mirror or the US version.

Quote:
Can't edit the above post, it gives an error when i click "see the comments on the forums".

May have been a temporary issue posting this news story during the transition. For now, use the direct URL http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1622317/introducin... (or .co.uk if you are in Europe).
Score
March 11, 2013 11:17:24 AM

New page layout takes a bit to get used to. The unread replies were upper right column, now they're bottom right.
Also, I really hope a EDIT function has been implemented in TGuide, at least similar to TH.
Score
March 11, 2013 12:01:31 PM

Thanks for making an effort Tom's.

That'll do pig, that'll do... :) 
Score
March 11, 2013 12:20:27 PM

jpishgarMaking the right-column collapsible is literally like the first thing on our list.What's wrong with red vs. blue? What would you recommend instead?

It's about the blue tones and red tones. My computer's LCD color intensity is really bad, so the 2-tones of blue (and red) look very alike from afar (20 inches+) and would like either a bigger flag or a more intense color of blue/red when there's new stuff. It should be a very quick change as well 8)

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!
Score
March 11, 2013 12:45:10 PM

I think you guys just alienated all the older guys/gals that have worked hard at helping the community. there is nothing wrong with change when done correctly, this wasn't! shame, shame THG

you should have carried some of the achievements over, even if they were in a different form. something to show that that person is not a n00b in the subject.

not sure if I will continue to contribute to these forums
Score
March 11, 2013 12:58:14 PM

We did. Literally *all* of the achievements/badges will be carried over. You lose nothing in the process.

Additionally, we involved many of our veteran users every step of the way in the beta process, which we kept open for months to get as much feedback as we could possibly shove into one project. The predominant part of the forum you see now is the product of every one of our engaged users who contributed, tested and hammered at the beta. We're proud of this, and proud of the way the community stepped up and got involved in making this happen.
Score
March 11, 2013 1:04:42 PM

Darn, I didn't get those last five BAs to get my Gold in Graphics and displays fast enough :) 
Score
March 11, 2013 2:23:48 PM

So far I'm liking this - thank you Toms!
Score
March 11, 2013 3:08:53 PM

Thanks for the compliment, punahou1!
Score
March 11, 2013 3:33:26 PM

The moderator interface in profiles doesn't seem to be working; I was unable to swing the banhammer on a spammer earlier today.
I'll look forward to the badge move. So far the changes don't appear worthy of any other complaints. there are just some differences to figure out.
Score
March 11, 2013 3:41:57 PM

Give it another shot, Onus. I just reset (hopefully) your privileges, and it may have jogged your access to the mod rights.
Score
Anonymous
March 11, 2013 3:49:02 PM

im glad you changed the points system, best move you could of done :) 
Score
March 11, 2013 4:03:56 PM

Nope, I just went to someone's profile, and there is no Sheriff's star there. Also, there are no editing options on forum posts, so I would be unable to remove foul language or make similar changes.
Edit: Found another way to access the Mod options. One glitch: When I banned a spammer, the form was incomplete if I did not set a time (I chose a 5-year ban); previously that would have been a permaban.
Further Edit: The ban / delete on Vance Venzo (appears in this very thread) seems to have done nothing; the spam was not deleted.
Score
March 11, 2013 4:23:02 PM

"when it surpassed a million registered users"

That's a million registrations, not users. How many user do you have? ;-)
Score
March 11, 2013 4:56:01 PM

The spam appears to have been removed from this thread, from what I can see. Also the user profile indicates it was banned, so I think it worked, albeit bumpy.

Quote:
That's a million registrations, not users. How many user do you have?

Depends on how you define user. Registrations is the best metric for figuring that out, but we also measure in terms of replies per thread, threads over time, and a few other key points. Have been really proud with the awesome growth and build-up of Tom's Community. "A heaping butt-load of users" works, to answer your question. :p 
Score
March 11, 2013 5:15:16 PM

but I like ads :( 
Score
March 11, 2013 5:25:01 PM

Haha I was wondering why I felt so confused when I got on this morning. Can't say that I like the new layout 100% but its not bad by any means. I think that I just have to get used to it. No more ranking system???
Score
March 11, 2013 5:25:58 PM

Nevermind answered my own question about the ranks :D 
Score
March 11, 2013 5:28:47 PM

Does suck to see that all my work I have put in these past 3 weeks to rank up has disappeared. Now im only a "Reader". Haha nice.
Score
March 11, 2013 5:33:35 PM

Woot! :)  Nice job Joe!
Score
March 11, 2013 6:30:20 PM

Kind of strange - I have a post in computer peripherals and the system keeps throwing in a playstation tag. I keep deleting the tag and re-posting yet it continues to reappear....
Score
March 11, 2013 8:00:32 PM

Working good for me, let's see how it posts.
Score
March 11, 2013 8:07:34 PM

Is it just me, or does the forum view for the articles such as this no longer support the comment rating system like the article view does?
Score
March 11, 2013 8:09:37 PM

Also, almost every time I try to edit or reply to a post, I get a 404 and it won't work. This wasn't happening for me until several hours after the transition, so that implies (at least to me) that the issue is not purely the fault of the transition unless more changes have been made that broke something after the initial transition.
Score
March 11, 2013 8:17:50 PM

I am seeing the 404's too. Also, when I edited one of my posts, a duplicate was posted, and the original (unedited) post remained in the thread as well.
Score
March 11, 2013 8:26:45 PM

I'm now seeing a 404 with everything that I post. IDK if this will even be posted when I hit the submit button, so maybe I'm just wasting my time by saying this, but I can't seem to post anything anymore and I think that it's worth a shot.
Score
March 11, 2013 8:51:51 PM

1. can something be done to the rightmost column in forums ? Its wasting a lot of screen space.

2. For people with social tracking protection, signing in is impossible on the homepage, and difficult on the forum :fou: 

Edit : Deleting all cookies from tomshardware.com resolved this.
3.Nice job overall. Will need some time to get used to.

Edit2 : The existing hyperlinks to forum threads dont work anymore :(  . When i clicked on the one i have bookmarked, i got a 404 error page. I had to search in the forum for that specific thread and manually update the bookmark.
Score
March 11, 2013 9:30:35 PM

What is the difference between "update post" and "edit" ?
Score
March 12, 2013 3:05:29 AM

Really Awesome work.
Aesthetics and Functionality- That's what we wanted.
Score
March 12, 2013 3:55:21 AM

Hey good to see the revamp, but i have to ask, is there a mobile version of the forums yet?
Score
March 12, 2013 6:45:20 AM

Quote:
but I like ads :( 

Bite your tongue!

Quote:
Does suck to see that all my work I have put in these past 3 weeks to rank up has disappeared. Now im only a "Reader". Haha nice.

Your hard work has not gone in vain, and your status will soon be restored once the badges system has been fully launched. The process is already underway today and users will start seeing their post counts and old badges return, as well as some new badges become available.

Quote:
Kind of strange - I have a post in computer peripherals and the system keeps throwing in a playstation tag. I keep deleting the tag and re-posting yet it continues to reappear....

The tag system may take some getting used to, and it might end up a little wonky at first as we sort out the bugs. But you'll find that searches will be easier, sifting through content considerably simpler, and new badges will be popping up periodically based on the most used tags, too.

Quote:
Is it just me, or does the forum view for the articles such as this no longer support the comment rating system like the article view does?

Let me get back to you on that - I'll look into it.
Edit: Correct, article view still allows comment voting, but forum view does not. This was an intentional change.

Quote:
404 errors!

We're working on this. In the meantime, if you are running into 404 errors, be sure you've cleared your cache, as you might have some previously cached versions of the forum stored in your browser files.

Quote:
an something be done to the rightmost column in forums ? Its wasting a lot of screen space.

Yup, we're hoping to address the right-side column by making it collapsible again.

Quote:
Nice job overall. Will need some time to get used to.

Don't rush it - it's a big new forum, and we've added a few new areas that we think have been needed for a while. It will take some time to get acclimated to where stuff is.

Quote:
The existing hyperlinks to forum threads dont work anymore . When i clicked on the one i have bookmarked, i got a 404 error page. I had to search in the forum for that specific thread and manually update the bookmark.

Some of the URLs may have changed, especially relating to individual posts within a thread. You might find it more useful to check your tracked threads under a given category, since all of your flags would have ported over.

Quote:
Hey good to see the revamp, but i have to ask, is there a mobile version of the forums yet?

Not yet, but this is something we're working on next!
Score
March 12, 2013 7:22:03 AM

I was about to throw a hissy fit over my badges not being there. Luckily, I decided to read the post before flying into a rage over my internet points. So relieved I will still have them all!! :) 
Score
March 12, 2013 7:52:04 AM

i can see how people are so upset about the changes...the prospect of me losing my Tom's Hardware badges has kept me up most nights.

Badges?! We don't need no stinkin Badges!
Score
March 12, 2013 9:09:19 PM

Q. That's a million registrations, not users. How many user do you have?

jpishgar: Depends on how you define user. Registrations is the best metric for figuring that out,

I can't agree. Game sites regularly crow about how many "users" they have even though there's a percentage (maybe a significant one) who signed up but never came back and a greater percentage who joined and were active but have moved on. A user is a person who is using. "Active within the last three months" is a definition that I've gone by.

but we also measure in terms of replies per thread, threads over time, and a few other key points.

Fewer than the million,. I'd imagine.

"A heaping butt-load of users" works, to answer your question. :p 

Heh heh. That'll do. Maybe not quite the same as an actual number but you're obviously happy. :-D
Score
March 13, 2013 4:50:36 AM

Looks like my "addict" status is gone. Hopefully will be fixed soon.
The replied threads need to have a selection tool to allow for deleting/ignoring them, more than one at a time; I don't need to have to scroll down to access/delete some 3 months-old replies that I don't care for anymore. Not to mention that some of these threads give an access error when trying to access them, hence becoming a permanent stickler in the list.
Overall, I am more and more disappointed with the new format. I didn't get the reason why it had to be so radically changed.
Score
March 13, 2013 6:00:20 AM

ads
small ads in the corners for hardware and such I might buy = good
intrusive pop up crap ads = ad block plus
Score
March 13, 2013 6:34:10 AM

I just tried to report a spam post and it told me I dont have permissions... might need to look into that.
Score
March 13, 2013 6:43:47 AM

Quote:
this link does not work

Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Looking into fixing that now.
Score
March 13, 2013 10:17:20 PM

After being a long time member of this site. I no longer find it nearly as easy to contribute. Before I considered your site to be the best forum layout of any I contribute to. Now it's just a disappointment.

Bring back my right side column, I want the list of the threads I've contributed to and now have an update without having to open a new page.
Score
March 13, 2013 10:18:33 PM

Also I always used add blocker and I never had a single issue with ads at all.
Score
!