Dell dimension 2400 not starting

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Geek Squad said I have a virus ($200 to remove) in my Dell Dim 2400. Not worth fixing-- bought a new HP. Brought it home and tried to start the Dell for kicks but I never got it to boot to windows. The screen said keyboard failure but I continued to try. Now the on/off switch only works to shut it down. When I plug it back in I can hear all the fans and HD running. When I shut it down the green light on the MB stays lit for 15 seconds or so. I have replaced the battery and tried the jumper fix (jp2 to jp1 and back). As a complete novice and retired I would like the challenge to get it running to remove the virus and have a back-up computer. Thoughts and advice are appreciated.

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
At times I have 4 green lights other times a and c are lit.. The key board has no lights (cap lock, etc) and mouse has no response. The on/off switch is not working at all now-- using power cord to turn machine on and off. Can hear HD running as well as both fans.

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
The Dell is a Dimension 2400 with a Intel Celeron Processor @2.4GHz-- 80GB ATA Hard Drive. Windows XP. The computer worked fine (including on/off control) until the virus attack. I was attempting to restore the computer and the keyboard operated partially (F keys, enter, cap lock were ok but numbers and letters did not work) Now the keyboard is dead -nothing. The monitor also stopped working-- maybe due to the fact the keyboard is dead to give commands? The diagnostic lights are erratic as far as colors - sometime green and sometime amber. I never heard any diagnostic beeps at all.

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
This morning there are green lights @ a&c -- b&d are out. Dell manual shows nothing for this pattern.

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I tried the battery reset-- no help. I did move the jumper from jp 2 to jp 1 and left it there. Now the on/off switch is working fine and the keyboard has come alive except for letter and numbers. I burned a disc (on my HP) from the link you recommended but the partially operating keyboard is probably keeping me from putting the disc (virus removal) to use.

hemp

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I have the Dell driver and utilities disc that came with the computer. I tried that disc but again I do not have a working screen to see what is going on. Using the disc did not bring the partially operating keyboard back to life. I downloaded PC Cleaner to a disc ( on my HP) and that gave the Dell logo for a second or two then back to blue screen. PC Cleaner is suppose to fix registry errors. I think I mentioned your suggestion of the Sophos virus removal tool (for rootkit virus) also was unable to solve my problem.