advice on installing windows 7 on a new drive

watson47

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I had windows 7 installed before and the drive died with me. I tried to install it again on 2 other hard drives I had, both without success. I got as far as restarting after 'updating system registry and starting services', after that, all that I got was a flashing cursor on a black screen and that would have stayed there till doomsday.

I have bought a new drive and I am looking for advice on the best way to go about installing windows 7 ultimate on it.
Should I format it in the setup I have now (windows xp), or let it format during the setup process in windows 7 etc.

Grateful for any advice I can get.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
watson

Leaving the actual installation aside for a moment - have you checked that Windows 7 drivers are available for your computer from the manufacturer?

If the drivers are available you can proceed with the upgrade, if not available, you can't.

You should use Windows 7 Setup to prepare the drive.
Windows 7 Setup can delete partitions, create new ones, and format them.

watson47

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
HI, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the pc will run windows 7. I have all the drivers for it. I had it running for 2 years until the drive died with me. The pc is an asrock self build.
I had no problems installing windows 7 the first time, but for some reason, this time it seems to hang at the point I mentioned.
Thanks for the help.
watson