What's the best Radeon HD 7970 GPU?

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I think that the best Radeon HD 7970 GPU is the Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Toxic 6 GB GDDR5 384 bit graphics adapter. I'd like to ask you if you have the same opinion, or if you think that this isn't the best Radeon HD 7970 card. Please reply and share your opinions, if you think the same as I do, or if you don't - I'd ask you to write the model of the GPU which you think is better. Thank you for taking your time to read this. Thanks for the replies!

honestly the difference in them isnt worth the money there asking, just get the 1 that runs the coolest then over-clock it if you want that extra 1 fps. to me its pure madness to pay an extra 50 for 1 fps because 1s your over 60 you should turn vsnc on to stop the tearing and make the game play smooth as butter. yes its all well and good having 99fps but if your monitor is running at 60 or 120 hz you will end up with tearing in a very big way that will spoil your enjoyment.
as long as you can get 60fps minimum from the card then dont worry about that extra 1 fps as it wont mean anything in the overall outcome of the visuals. its only really important if your running at 25 fps. that extra 1 can make the difference between playable and stutter fest.
so like i say just get the ghz edition that runs coolest then decide if you want to oc it, because they do handle over clocking rather well. some even come with over clocking warranties. now thats a feature worth paying for.

There's the factor also of noise and cooling levels, but most 7970 will have the same performance and with 3GB of vram is plenty, in my opinion, the sapphire 7970 ghz edition vapor-x 3GB with a good cooling system with the famous vapor chamber will do, and it's usually one of the cheapest ghz editions, from the normal 7970, the sapphire is also one of the cheapest and with a good cooling system.
Bottom line you can't go wrong with neither, but avoid the Toxic 6GB, since it's really expensive and not worth the price nor it benefits from the 6GB of vram.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Thanks! This 1 frame might not play a big deal in 2013, but after a couple of years, it may be fatal, do you think that I'll have overheating issues with the Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Toxic 6 GB GDDR5 384 bit GPU if I overclock it? I know that everything above 2 GB of GPU RAM isn't needed at all in 2013, and that not many games even require 2 GB of GPU RAM, but I'm thinking about 2018, I hope that my Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz and 7970 are going to play games after so much time (low - medium 1024x768)!

In 4-5 years that card will be obsolete, no point in getting a 6GB card thinking in future proofing, there's no such thing, also some reviews showed, it doesn't take advantage of the 6GB vs 3GB even at higher resolutions.

Nobody can predict how long it will last, remember that some games now are using dx11 only(crysis 3) and you can't play with a 8800 ultra, at that time it might have a new dx version, who knows, also 1024x768 is a really low resolution by today, i can't imagine someone using it in 4-5 years(specially with the 8/4k resolution coming).
Another thing is, the Toxic 6GB will get the same performance as the 7970 ghz edition 3GB, either now or in the future, when the 3GB will be obsolete so the toxic, the 6GB will be useless.

HardwareWhore

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I'm using a Gigabyte 7970 OC and it idles at 31c - the three fans attached are dead silent! I get great perfromance in every game without any lag. The only downside is that some users report it is Voltage locked so it cannot be OC'd but I honestly havent found a need to even try.

dknightxs

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
depends on what u mean by "the best"
currently the fastest HD7970ghz is the Club3d Royalace but it produces some noise and heats up too.
if u want a expensive 700buck 7970 than Sapphire is the way to go as sapphire is a very reliable brand

but if u want build quality and top notch cooling than go for a asus hd7970 dcuii

i myself wanted the sapphire but we didnt had those in my country so after 1 month of using the royal ace i was worried about its noise and temperatures so sold it and go myself a asus dcuii which is very quiet and cool and has some good overclocking potential.

p.s If i were u and money wasnt a problem.. id pick the sapphire