Music Recording CPU

ruskininja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
I'm building a PC for somebody and am wondering what CPU I should get. I would like an AMD CPU because of budgeting. He is mainly using this for music recording (specifically www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-8-Software). It doesn't need to be extraordinary...but I need something that can easily handle this. Would this (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad5300okhjbox) suffice?

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
What's your budget? That seems a bit underpowered. Audio editing benefits greatly from more cores. An 8 core AMD chip is still under $200.

ruskininja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012

I don't know, I looked at the hardware requirements and I assumed if it only requires 1 GB RAM, I assumed it wouldn't be too powerful of a CPU to work well. Price would probably max out at ~$80.

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Minimum requirements will get it to run, but not run well. Audio editing can take a lot of computing power. Last studio rig I built was $600 new and still lags a bit. I'd say if you really need to keep cost down, get an AM3+ chip and a board with integrated video or an HD6450 video card for like $25. The chip you selected is basically an Athlon II with video integrated directly into the chip. Your video needs aren't much for an audio rig, so lean your weight on a solid chip. Also, 8 GB of RAM should really be considered the minimum for windows 7. You need at least 4 for a 64 bit install.

ruskininja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012

Ok, i think got it covered, I have 8 GB RAM and quad-core processor (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-adx640wfgmbox). Will this cover it? How do I know if it has integrated graphics?

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
The first chip was one of the new Fusion processors. They're basically retooled athlons with integrated video. So that makes this more or less the older quad core version of your first selection. I'd suggest the Phenom II 965 3.4Ghz quad core. It's $99 at newegg. Even that might not really be up to the job though... Good audio rigs aren't cheap.