Mechanical Keyboard Suggestions

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking for mechanical keyboard suggestions. My requirements are fairly simple:
-104+ keys (numeric keypad a must)
-PS2 wired (not USB)
-Blue backlit keys
-Color: Black

So far I can only find the Deck Legend Ice and so I'm wondering if there are any other brands/models out there to choose from? For those that do have the Deck, please let me know if you made a mistake by going with linear or tactile.

Thank you in advance!

the most well known and suggested keyboards are models from das, deck, wasd, ducky and unicomp. of these i know deck has backlighting. models from corsair, razer, etc also work on a lower budget.

the first thing you want to do is pick what type of switch you want. ultimately this is what matters most. see the mechanical keboard guide on hardforums and the link in the thread.

generally speaking tactile feedback is best for typing and no feedback is better for gaming. tactile can be used for either but typing on a non feedback keyboard can be awkward for some. for typing you may want cherrymx blue, for gaming cherrymx black. there are tactile models available without audible feedback (brown i believe).

personally i prefer quality over aesthetics. the unicomp customizer is a throwback to the model m from ibm and its one of the well built keyboards you can buy but lacks leds and doesnt support nkro. it is also the only keyboard which has buckling spring keyswitches which are perhaps the best switch made.

if you prefer a more modern product, wasd seems to have top notch build quality, customizable keys and switches and is cheaper than deck. it doesnt have leds though.