Difference between SLI GTX 680 4gb (probably FTW edition) and Xfire 7970s (probably GHZ edition)

computeguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I need to know the performance difference between SLI and Crossfire with these cards. I know the 7970s will probably be slightly better in performance in some games, while the 680s will beat the 7970s in other games. More importantly, drivers and SLI/Crossfire performance. As far as I've heard, SLI is much more reliable than Crossfire, as Crossfire has problems (or so I've heard) with microstuttering and optimization. I've also heard the AMD drivers are very bad sometimes. I need to find out if these problems have been fixed, as I've heard some people saying recently. The only things holding me back from just buying the 680s are the price difference and the games you get from buying the 7970s. Please, I don't want any bias, I just want straight answers from people who will happily buy either card, depending on which is better.

echamberlin8

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I'm pretty much in your same conundrum as well, so I will keep tuned to this thread. You get, what, like 6 games with CrossFire 7970s now, right? That's a very alluring option. Plus, they are around $300-400 cheaper than SLI GTX 680 4GBs. But, then you hear about games with PhysX, like Batman: Arkham City or Borderlands 2, two games I want to play, and not being able to use that feature with the 7970s.

And I agree, I've heard issues about micro-stuttering and the FPS levels of the CrossFire cards not telling the whole truth, since SLI is supposedly smoother. But that price difference! And those games for free with the CrossFire!