Lower-pitch noise from video card?

TheBrass556

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I have a EVGA 660ti Superclocked installed in a recently built computer. I have been noticing a lower pitch whine noise while playing Fallout New Vegas (keep in mind i have installed many visual mods and running at max settings). However, it does not whine ALL the time, and many times pausing the game will stop it. The card stays cool and no wires are hitting the fan. So i am looking for some advice on what this could be and if its harmful? I have had no performance issues, just the noise. I am hoping i can put my worries to rest about this.

Any input is appreciated.

NOTE: Fallout New Vegas is the only game i have noticed this with. Besides a very few times on PlanetSide2, which only lasted just a few seconds.

Thank you.

Kari

Splendid
Sounds like coil whine. It's harmless but can get annoying if it is loud or has irritatingly high pitch. Most companies won't even accept returns/RMAs because of it. quite common really...
My card does it usually in game menus and other places where the fps get ridiculously high, forcing vsync gets rid off it most of the time or at least makes it quiet enough to be tolerable. Has been doing it for 3 years now and isn't dead yet. :p