AMD 965BE Safe Temps?

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hello I am currently running Prime95 and according to Hardware Monitor and Core temp I have hit 62C as max I have been hovering at 60C. Now my question is is this bad since I used the CPU level up to 3.9 and stable.

My Rig
MOBO Asus M5A87
Phenom II x4 965BE
Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler/ Cooler master TX3
MSI GTX660 TF
Antec BP550
WD 500GB Green

I am kinda new to OC but am open to suggestions with how to OC and my main concern is temps being safe thanks

the recomended max temp for that cpu is 62'c although i have seen some running hotter than that. the cooler you have isnt particularly good so you do want to drop your temps by 5'c or so by either droping the volts if you can or if your not stable with less than drop the clocks also.
then get a higher cfm fan such as the pressure optimized noctua nff12. or get a better cooler all together.
seriously if your wanting to run an overclock dont scrimp on cooling. yes you can get good cheap coolers but you can also get some very poor cheap coolers, and yours is no better than the stock cooler you removed.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That seems a bit high even for that cooler. Is your case well ventilated? It may be the heat isn't being removed from the case fast enough. What kind of thermal paste are you using and what method of application? I used to have a 965BE with the CM TX3 cooler. I had it blowing upward and the top of the case had a 120mm vent fan. The top fan was so close to the cooler, it acted like a push-pull. At the 3.8GHZ I kept it running at, my temps were well below the 62C max.

By turning off C&Q, the fan won't have to wait for the temp to raise before increasing speed. So yes, you may want to do that when using the CPU at its max. For everyday use, leave it on.

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Okay and thank you for your responses. I am using the Thermal paste that came with the cooler and My case is running 2 front 120mm, 1 120mm side, 1 140mm and 1 120mm Top, and rear 120mm exhaust on top and rear. The temps I hit were in prime95 maxing all cores. I have since ran a few games and the temps never went over 54C in SC2 and I also ran Aion for a MMO to have more CPU pull and it never went over 56C If I remember correctly. But no where near 62C during prime. So is this still bad or should I look into something else/ clock back?

Also would this have anything to do with using the CPU level up? Meaning should I really go and try to manually do this?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming the fans are all running in the correct direction, it sounds like you have a well ventilated case. Your normal working/gaming temps seem fine as well. If the only time your CPU temp hit the max of 62C was during a Prime95 run, I wouldn't really worry about it. The only thing odd to my thinking, is that the Rocketfish cooler doesn't seem to be doing any better for you than the 4-heat pipe stock cooler would do. You might try cleaning the factory TIM from the surfaces and replacing it with something like Arctic MX-4 instead if you feel it's worth it.

anuj1234

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
you don't need to do anything just unlock all core from bios and don't worry u have safe temp reading ...