New pc build for vray 3ds max rendering

Hi there I am new to the forum i was wondering if perhaps I could get a little advice.

I am a complete noob so forgive me if i don't know what I'm talking about.

I am trying to spec my very first pc geared towards rendering in 3ds max vray after struggling with an underpowered laptop for way too long.

The pc will be used predominantly for the following in order of importance.

Vray rendering in 3ds max 2012
Solid works
Photoshop.
No gaming
No movies
Dual monitors at the moment I have one 24" monitor with a hdmi cable?

My budget is around $1500 to $2000

My initial thoughts on spec were something like the following

CPU i7 3930k $600
Mobo ga x79 ud3. $250
Gpu Quadro 600. $150
Boot drive Samsung 840 pro 128g ssd. $140
Hd. Seagate barracuda 1t. $75
CPU cooler Corsair Hydro series (closed system) and either the H100i
Power supply seasonic x850 $169
Memory. Ripjaw z series 16g $130
Case. Obsidian Series® 550D Mid-Tower Case Quiet Case

I have been getting allot of conflicting information but I am starting to get a feel for what I think I need.

GPU

I was thinking of going for a quadro 600 so if I needed to upgrade to a 4000 at a later date I would only be losing the $150

My workflow is usually as follows. I create a product in solid works and export it to 3ds max as a mesh. (These meshes can be pretty heavy due to my not being skilled enough in the art of minimising poly counts etc)

I really only set up the lighting environments in max and then render in vray so I am not overly concerned with smooth flowing graphics etc when working in max although I would prefer if it didn't crash every 5 minutes like it does right now.

I understand that vray now has gpu and CPU rendering capabilities but for now I am happy to stick with CPU rendering. This is mainly because the learning curve is steep enough at the moment trying to learn vray without getting in gpu. But down the line I will definitely look into this.

At the moment I simply want to render single product shots on high quality and maybe start producing simple animations.

CPU i7 3930k

By going the route of the hex core I was thinking it would give me 12 threads which would allow for faster vray CPU rendering ( can vray utilise 12 threads)

Mobo ga x79 ud3

Really don't know why I choose this As there seem to be several mobos that are very similar specs.(open to suggestions)

Boot drive. Samsung 840 pro 128g ssd.

Really don't know why I choose this particular brand (open to suggestions)

Hd. Seagate barracuda 1t.

Again I just want a 1 terabyte hard drive ( would it be possible to add a second 2 terabyte at a later date

CPU cooler Corsair Hydro series (closed system) and either the H100i

I have been advised to go this route if I ever want to overclock. If I decide to overclock would it improve rendering speed? If so by how much 5% 10% 20%? I know this is impossible to quantify exactly how much but I would like to get an idea of how much?
Does over clocking effect the warrantee?

Power supply seasonic x850

I am unsure if this is the right psu for what I need as I got lost trying to use the online calculator but I did take from your forum comments that skimping in this area is a big mistake

Memory. Ripjaw z series 16g

I just picked these as I was unsure in this area. Could I use cheaper memory? I would like to have 32 g of memory but I am unsure if I need it or not. Knowing what I will be using my workstation for can you tell me if it would speed up anything. And can the system I choose take 32g of ram would it be possible to put in 2 sticks of 8 then add another 2 sticks of 8 so as to avoid dumping 4 sticks of 4 if I ever wanted to upgrade from 16 to 32.

Case

Case. Obsidian Series® 550D Mid-Tower Case Quiet Case

Thanks in advance

Nigel
6 answers Last reply
More about build vray 3ds max rendering
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)

This might be overkill, you could go for the i7-3770K if need be.
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Just as good as that $100 cooler up there. Overclocking, depending on how well you do it, can get you 10-20% better performance. I don't believe that overclocking would void your warranty. Also, Intel offers a warranty specifically for overclocking.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)

This should be more than enough for you.
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)

32 gb is overkill, probably. Here's what you were talking about above, 2 8gb modules.

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.99 @ Amazon)

Get this SSD. I prefer it to the samsung, although the samsung is pretty good.
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

I have this in the 1TB version. It's only $10 more than 1TB, so why not?
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)

I believe the newer GTXs are much better than the old Quadros. This is one of the best.

Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)

This is your case from above.

Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)

850w is way more than you'll need. You did a good job picking the brand, however. Seasonic is one of the best.
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    People forget that you need one of these to install your OS.
    Total: $1710.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-12 02:29 EDT-0400)
  2. Do you need an OS? If so, don't forget that Window 7 Home Premium doesn't support more than 16GB of ram, so if you want more, get professional.
  3. Hi Boxasauras! Thank you very much for your help and advice here it's been very helpful to me!

CPU. You really got me thinking here.... When I look at my build it seems very unbalanced with a pretty big processor and a little graphics card. I was just dreaming of having my vray renderings working with 12 buckets... Which I believe would be h case with a 6 core processor. However $600 is pretty expensive (cheapest I can get it for over here in Australia) I was really trying to future proof with this one... But this may be a bad move as they drop so much in price over time eh?

CPU cooler.. Great call anything that brings the price down sounds good to me. Plus I'm coming from a real piece of crap setup that was really slow...so I am hoping that With this new system It will be such an improvement that I will happy enough to avoid overclocking. So an expensive cooler would be overkill.

Is overclocking complicated to 1 setup and 2 maintain?

Motherboard. Sounds good. If I was to go for the 3770k could I still use the same one. I would like to have it so I could upgrade at a later date to the 3930 if I did choose this to begin with

Memory. Sounds good and by doing the 2 sticks of 8 I can always add more at a later date.

I will get the pro edition of windows thanks for this!

Storage . Sounds good thanks

Ssd 2 tb for $10 more than 1tb is definitely worth it..

Graphics card. Thanks very much for this I was under the impression that only certain cards would work correctly with 3ds max but when I checked it out after you post it seams that they have stopped producing drivers for 3ds max 2012. I will need to do a bit more research here to see what the deal is here.

Case. I actually started looking at the fractal design r4 (no window)mid tower it's a little cheaper would this be ok for my build?

Power supply. Sounds good! I wasn't sure what I needed. I tried to use an online calculator but I got in over my depth. I was sick the day we learned addition at school:) and would it still be sufficient if I added let's say a quadro 4000 and a bigger processor down the line?

Optical drive. Good call

Thank you so much for this help Boxasauras I really appreciate it!

Nigel
  4. Ok, let's go in reverse order.

The power supply should be more than enough for a faster processor and better graphics card.

I actually have the R4 with a window for my build, so I have no qualms about recommending it. It's a great case (really quiet too)

Okay, the 3930 is an LGA-2011 socket processor, while the 3770 is an LGA-1155 processor, so you would not be able to switch the processor without getting a new motherboard. When are you going to be purchasing this, because the Haswell processors are coming out in June I believe, so you may want to wait. I'm in the US, so I don't know how much of a price difference there is between the two, but it may be worth spending the extra money just so you don't decide later that it's too slow and you want to upgrade.

Overclocking is not that complicated. There are plenty of guides online and so long as you are careful and patient you can do it. It's not hard to maintain either, so long as you have a quality power supply and a good cooler.

Okay, with the video card prices being that much, it really depends. If you feel you can spare it, I'd go for it. If not, there are a few roads you can take. If you're dead set on Nvidia, you can look at the 660ti, which is also a quality card for about $100 USD cheaper. If not, I would recommend you look at AMD's offerings. If you are willing to overclock your graphics card, I would recommend the 7950, which is a great card at stock speeds, and if you overclock it, you can easily get 670 type performance out of it. I have heard of people getting it to around 680 speeds, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Okay, that's all I got for now.
  5. Hi Boxasauras! Thanks very much for taking the time to do all of this for me.

I think I am going to go ahead with the 3930k. I think i might have to go with a quadro 600 just to get me started its only $150 and gives me a chance to see how it goes. I have seen some side by side comparisons of it on you tube and it looks ok.

I will also go with the r4 case I really like the clean look of it and if you are happy with it then that is good enough for me.

I now have to go and learn how to build it wish me luck!

Thanks again for all your help il let you know how I go

Nigel
  6. Hi Nigel,
    Just wondering if you can give us an update on your system? I'm looking into building a computer for similar programs.

Thanks,
    Sandy
Ask a new question

Read More

Rendering Build Systems Product