CPU Temp - Large fluctuation from idle & Running games

ixMyth

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
OK, So I recently purchased and AMD FX 6300. I am using an older Thermaltake CPU Fan (TR2-R1) and I have been running Core Temp while playing games (WoW & DayZ mainly)

I have noticed when I idle I sit right around 15-20C which from what I can tell is pretty good. When I am running games it jumps anywhere from 55-70c. I am just wondering if this is a dangerous level? My dad has had some problems with his system getting to hot and don't want to go through that.

And, yes I know temps are going to go up when playing games. But everywhere I look it's like a 20-30c difference... not a 50-60

twelve25

Distinguished
I've heard you can run into issues with FX processors in the mid 60s, so I think you are probably running a bit warmer than you should be.

You said the CPU cooler is older, are you sure it is up to the task of handling a 95-125W processor? Doesn't sound like it is.

ixMyth

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, I am looking into taking this fan off and putting on the stock one but can't find anywhere on if the stock will be any better. Not sure if it's worth risking my CPU to make the change.

TRENDING THREADS