Windows 7 (x64) Very Slow Image Restore

arblargan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I wanted to restore my computer using a backup image because I believe there was a security breach on my computer. I went through the repair disk and attempted to do an image restore. After 5 hours of the restore, the progress bar was at no more than 5-10%. I google'd the problem and found out that AHCI mode can cause the process to take a very long time. The solution was to change the SATA mode to IDE and then continue with the upgrade.

I changed the SATA mode to IDE, then saved the BIOS change and restarted the computer to verify that the SATA mode was still in IDE. I then restarted the image restore and after 4 hours, the progress bar is still at about 5-10%, and the change seems to have made no difference. I've tried the restore on both IDE "compatible" and IDE "enhanced", both of which are still taking a very long time to complete the restore (after 4 hours, for each, being about 5-10%).

The drive that I am trying to restore is an 256 GB SSD connected to a 6 gb/s SATA port. The restore image should be around 100-125 GB. The restore image is stored on an internal 500 GB HD also connected to a 6 gb/s SATA port, but the 500 GB HD is only 3 gb/s.

The motherboard that I am using is an ASUS P8P67 WS. The firmware is 1212.

So to recap, I'm having a slow image restore to an SSD, and changing the SATA mode in BIOS from AHCI to IDE doesn't appear to be helping. If you've been adding up the hours from this post, you can see that I've been working on this for the better part of 12 hours. Is there anything else I can try? Thank you.

Test both the source and the destination drives with manufacturer's diagnostic software for DOS (ie the bootable CD version that's supplied as a CD-image). The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Using any working computer that's equipped with a CD-burner, you can create a bootable CD from the ISO CD-image file by using "IMGBurn":
http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

bendover

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Greetings

I am getting the same problem. My SSD, which was my boot failed. I have a system restore image and have been trying to re-image the system using this image. But I am suffering the same problem, the restore progress bar only get about 5 - 10% the way through. The window says that the process should take a few minutes to a few hours.
Thanks.