Is IPS worth it?

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I have always been told IPS displays are where it is at. I'm currently looking for a new 1080/23in+ monitor for my gaming rig and found an IPS monitor for $170 which at this point is the max I would like to spend. But I know I can get 23in non-IPS monitor for so much less.

So I'm wondering if the IPS is worth it, I do some minor video editing but nothing real professional, but is it going to help with my games?

illudrium

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I used to own this monitor until I returned it so I could get a bigger screen.:D It won't necessarily help your gaming, but your games will look better. Only a 120hz tn panel could possibly improve your gaming performance, though at the cost of image quality.

Anyway I thought the picture quality was absolutely spot on and I couldn't discern any ghosting thanks to the low response time and trace free overdrive. Whatever input lag it had was imperceptible to me as well.

I think it's a perfect budget ips. All the necessary inputs and performance without all the unnecessary frills.

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Do you think the image/color quality worth it on the IPS monitors?

csk222

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I own two ASUS VS248H-P monitors and one ASUS VE278Q monitor. I have gamed on both types of monitors and there is a noticeable difference in image/color quality. My next monitor purchase is going to be two ASUS VS278Q-P monitors. If they are as good as the VS248H-P they will be the best monitors I own (Response Time is better – 1ms). I don’t really know all that much about “Response Times” or any of that, but I know for certain that what I saw on the screen when I was gaming looked better in every way on the IPS monitors. The IPS monitors in my opinion are worth it. At the end of the day you should get what your budget allows and you’ll be happy with your purchase.
Good luck.

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I will stick with the IPS because of the video editing I do but mostly for just a better looking gaming experience.

illudrium

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013