LG's Beautiful 55-inch OLED TV Hitting the UK This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Well, if it's that high a price to start with, couldn't they raise it even more but in turn push out qHD ?
OLED+high-res would be a killer combo.

Matthew Kauffman

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
"However, because OLED layers are flexible and lighter, OLED displays don't require backlighting and the colours are more vivid and the blacks are very deep."

No - OLED displays don't require backlighting due to being emissive rather than transmissive.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Well, if it's that high a price to start with, couldn't they raise it even more but in turn push out qHD ?OLED+high-res would be a killer combo.[/citation]

It wouldnt just 'raise it even more'.. I think an OLED qHD display of this size would run near $80,000 instead of the $8,000 they are asking for this unit.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Well, if it's that high a price to start with, couldn't they raise it even more but in turn push out qHD ?OLED+high-res would be a killer combo.[/citation]
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]It wouldnt just 'raise it even more'.. I think an OLED qHD display of this size would run near $80,000 instead of the $8,000 they are asking for this unit.[/citation]
I believe what you guys meant is "QHD", which mean "quad HD" and is a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels. "qHD" means "quarter of full HD", which is only 960x540 pixels. ;)

But yeah, a TV with that resolution and technology would be insanely awesome, yet insanely expensive too!

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]spat55[/nom]Waste of money.[/citation]

Should you or I buy this TV? Absolutely not. But I'm thrilled that some companies are paying the absurd price to create the technology and infrastructure to build these, and I'm even more thrilled that there are some rich people willing to buy these.

Somebody needs to complete the spendy projects, and somebody needs to buy the spendy products. This is all part of the cycle of how the price will drop to where you and I can afford it. And I can't wait! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.