Review before purchase of upgrade parts

mekh

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my PC, since it's too slow for satisfactory Adobe Lightroom use and for playing The Secret World with all the nice eye-candy. Especially minimum frame rates are killing me and especially in Player vs. Player.

New Build:
CPU: i7-3770K
MB: Asus Maximus V Gene
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 Timings: 9-11-10-30
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120KW 2.5" 120GB SATA III (Games)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i
GFX: --- re-using my GTX560Ti-448 ---
SSD: --- re-using my Intel X-25 M 80GB (OS) ---
HDD: --- Re-using my WD Caviar Black 1TB --- (Storage)
PSU: --- Re-using my Corsair HX620 ---

Does this look like a solid build? Should I switch something out that would give me similar performance at a reduced price.... anything that springs to mind?

The single item that has given me the biggest issues choosing, has been the motherboard. I want to overclock, I want good quality, I want expandability for tomorrow, I do not want to pay for Crossfire/SLI if I can avoid it and I want a low price :)

Also... RAM... I recently switched the build to higher speed RAM as I've read here and there that people have seen this help on the minimum frame rates in their games (Can't find link now.... sigh), although it did not benefit significantly with regard to average and maximum frame rates. I do however care a LOT more about minimum frame rate than average or max. This benefit for minimum frame rate may be real or not, but I'm willing to pay some extra just in case.
EDIT: Found one of the links again: http://www.overclock.net/t/1366657/ddr3-1600-vs-2133-is-there-a-difference-in-game

I have been out of the loop with regard to hardware since I purchased my E8500 when it came out, so I've been reading up on it for a few days, but it's easy to miss stuff when not following the tech from day to day as I once used to.

Last, but not least.... Should I maybe just wait for Haswell????? sigh :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Soon

Budget Range: Above new items turn out around 800$ on Newegg and I would prefer less, but am willing to pay more if I gain significantly from it.
(Info just for fun... The above will cost me roughly 1000$ here in Denmark!)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Currently The Secret World), Adobe Lightroom, F@H

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No, never... I use more power than I like to already.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (main monitor), 1680x1050 (Secondary Monitor)

Additional Comments: I like a quiet PC that is stable, stable and stable... also when overclocked. This is my reason for choosing water cooling. I like that the cpu cooler helps get the heat out of the case, instead of just circulating it inside as my current Noctua does.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Need moar power...!

I'm currently running:
CPU: E8500@3.9GHz which unfortunately has started to show it's age
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P (I think, not sure)
MB: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
GFX: MSI GTX560Ti-448
RAM: 8GB
HDD: WD Raptor 150GB (OS)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB (Storage)
SSD: Intel X-25 M 80GB (Games)
PSU: Corsair HX620

mekh

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Doh! I feared some might tell me that :D

I'm not comfortable running first generation anything, least of all motherboards... Burned my hands more than once in the past. Especially with regard to stability.... I like my PC to run and not crash while oworking on my photo collection :)

Less power hungry CPU and maybe also MB sounds nice tho, even if at the same performance level.