BF3 Lagging - CPU problem?

ruantr

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm having some troubles here.
I have Battlefield 3 Premium Edition on Origin, and, whenever I try to play it, the game lags.
Not problem of my internet, since my ping was 30 and 40 on the servers...

Sometimes I'm gonna just move the mouse and run and I get some freaking wierd lags, like the game start to get slow and back to normal in seconds (like it was a fps drop, but no fps drop!!!)

My computer is:

Memory 2x4 GB Kingston 1333mhz;
Processor Intel i5 2320 3.0 GHz;
GPU HD 6850 1GB 256bits DDR5 (I tried already an GTX 580 1.5GB 384bits, same problem);
PSU 550w Seventeam.

With the gtx 580 and the hd 6850 I tried both to play everything set to LOW and 1920x1080. And I still have the lag problem. Already tried to change resolution to 1280x720 too, and 1280x1024.

Is this a CPU problem? The temps of CPU when I'm playing get to 72ºc (that's maximum I've see on my cpu)
and my GPU gets to 65ºc (sometimes 70ºc).
or it's a PSU problem?

Thanks guys!

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
That's quite strange, have you tried playing in single player? Do you have the same issues?

Even though you get a high CPU temp, it could be possible that your CPU is throttling down to avoid burning out.

GPUs are expected to hit that temp though.

I would start but making sure that your heatsink on the CPU is firmly in place and that you have sufficient thermal paste?

Do you have problems with any other game?

ruantr

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Same issue on Singleplayer (not tried with GTX 580);

Same issue with Far Cry 3 singleplayer (everything set to low and still lags with the HD 6850, not tried with gtx 580);

The thermal paste is OK! Heatsink is firmly in place!

Thanks for the answer.

What else could be?

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Can you monitor your CPU/GPU Usage whilst running the game, this might help determine what is causing the bottleneck.

I am still convinced it may have something to do with the CPU temperature, causing it to downclock to stop itself from overheating.

If you start the computer after leaving it for a few hours and go straight into a game, does it work well in the beginning and then performance begins to decline?

ruantr

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

GPU usually on 94-98% when running on Ultra (on my gtx 580), but that's normal they say.

How can I monitor CPU without needing to use the task manager? Is there a tool?

Yeah, if I power my computer on and wait some minutes and then start playing, after some time (never the same, sometimes 5 min, 10 min, 30 min...) it starts lagging.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Alright, then it must be the CPU heating up then downclocking. Since it happens after a bit of game time that shows it must be heating up then being lowerclocked to avoid overheating. I'm guessing you're using the stock cooler?

Can you get a hold of some thermal paste, remove the current thermal paste from you cpu and cooler and add the new one?

Alternatively and preferably --buy a new heatsink. The Hyper 212 Evo is really recommended around TH. And does alot better cooling than stock.

ruantr

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Yeah. Going to buy a good thermal paste and, about the heatsink, can it be the Hyper TX3 Evo?

Thanks!

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Hyper TX3 Evo is the one I currently have (only because my case couldn't fit the Hyper 212 Evo/Plus)

If you can, I'd suggest you go with the Hyper 212 as it is better.

Otherwise if you don't have another option go with the TX3. It will still do better than your stock heatsink

logainofhades

Titan
Another good part about the TX3 is that it mounts the same way your stock cooler would. This is helpful if you don't have rear access to the motherboard and don't want to remove yours from the system to install the Hyper 212. I have a 212, but have used the TX3 for another person and they have been happy with it.

ruantr

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Thank you guys!
As soon as I buy my TX3 I will post here what happened. Please keep this post OPENED!

Hope that's the problem, :C