Latency and Bandwidth

dante-

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hello everyone

I was wondering if my isp lowers my ping to gateway will that affect my current bandwidth?I have an 8 mbit/768 connection.

Some time ago when i called them they said i should choose between a gaming line profile or a high bandwidth one.Back then i chose the gaming line profile which after a modem restart my bandwidth dropped to 6 mbit and my ping to gateway from 40 ms dropped to 4 ms. I thought that these two things bandwidth and latency didnt affect each other so much.

I want to know if this is the case or was i fooled :p

Thanks.

I suspect what they are really offering you is a special QoS package....even though technically the "Net Neutrality" FCC rules say they can't

Bandwidth and latency are totally separate concepts. Bandwidth is purely the size of the connection. Latency is how long it takes to travel though the connection. In a perfect world the latency would always be a function of the distance and factors like the speed of light.

The only time bandwidth has a affect on latency is if the connection is completely used. Then the network equipment must hold data for short periods of time trying to make it all fit. In many cases it drops some of it.

What you can do with QoS is during periods of congestion like this you can select which packets to hold and drop and which to send first. The problem is user who get priority can eat all bandwidth and nobody else get any. So what is generally done is you cap these favored users at a lower rate to allow the other users to get some bandwidth.

Then again they can only do this within their part of the internet, once it leaves their control all traffic is the same again.

Be interesting to see how widespread this is and if the government will intervene saying its not fair that gamers can prevent the poor from having a good internet experience.

dante-

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Thanks for answering man.Really helpful answer cheers