URGENT: Is my GTX 670 defected ?

shiinko

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hello !
I've got my custom built PC about 9 months ago and just recently I've ran into a serious problem.
I was playing non-graphic intensive game when suddenly my PC crashed and I got that looping sound. I've restarted PC and suddenly I just couldn't boot. Right after Windows 7 logo I've got BSOD with this message:
"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed."
At the bottom there was also "nvlddmkm.sys".

I've been running perfectly fine for 8-9 months and now this happened for no reason.

I could boot into safe mode because drivers weren't loaded- If I reinstall windows and install Nvidia drivers again, same error occours.
Whatever the interface is (BIOS settings, Windows installation, Ubuntu LIVE CD etc ...) I always suffer from "no colors", basically fully washed out, random stripes horizontally across the screen across solid images and backgrounds. I can't get rid of it, so it's not a driver problem.

I am going to upload a few pictures of how things look.

This is my setup:
CPU: Intel i7 3770k (Not overclocked for now)
GPU: Corsair 750W PSU (Power is not the problem)
GPU: Asus GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 16 GB of Corsair low profile RAM (Can't remember exact model from top of my head)
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V

Thank you in advance,
Cheers.

shiinko

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
This is one of the examples of my problem:
http://oi46.tinypic.com/5zh3rs.jpg

I just spoke to Asus live support, the guy on the other end said that it is a hardware fault. Before contacting and sending back my card to the shop, can anyone confirm that ?

Also, do you think there's any chance the result would be my fault ? Note that card was well in range of safe temperature when it happened (Monitored by PrecisionX).

TheLittleKitten

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I'm not really that clever at software, rather than hardware, but from the crashed driver, i'll guess some kind of incompatability or a bug?

shiinko

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

It's happening everywhere, in BIOS settings, LIVE cds, Windows installation ...
So I think it can't be a software bug IMO.

TheLittleKitten

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I really don't think the graphics card itself is faulty. I had a faulty graphics card myself ( A HD 7870 if your interested) but I would think if it's the actual graphics card is faulty there would be some kind of visual error, but then again I used VGA (Lol I don't know anyone that uses VGA still.:lol:)

TheLittleKitten

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Also, before you go and trash your 670, try waiting for more people to post, or go visit a shop which can diagnose the problem.They can have a proper look at the PC because they have a real life look at it. Also, has anything wierd happened before relating to graphics?

shiinko

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I removed it from system and I'm running on integrated HD 4000 fine for now.
Maybe weird... but it was crashing before that fatal issue, I've got that messages sometimes "Driver crashed and has recovered", or something like that. But that seemed to be software related anyway. Nothing else much, it functioned just normal for 9 months.

EDIT: Since the shop is half way across the country and I'm going to ship it there, I'm not doing it until tommorow or until we arrange it (it's smaller shop) anyway.

shiinko

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Ah, thanks ;)
If I get to choose I'm thinking about EVGA GTX 670/680 or AMD 7970.