Question Regarding Western Digital Red Hard Drive

Just want to know if anyone is using the WD Red drives. I am interested in using them, but not in a NAS. I am considering using them to setup a RAID 1 array using a dedicated RAID controller card in my PC. Will I run into any potential issues?

I prefer not to use WD Green drives in a RAID setup. I would prefer WD Black drives, but since the WD Red drives are cheaper (by about $50 for 2TB drives) I am considering using Red instead of Black especially since I may eventually buy a total 6 hard drives. The cost difference would then be about $300.

I forgot to mention, you may also want to look at WD's RE (RAID Edition) drives. Though both the Red and RE are both made fro RAID, the red's have a 3 year warranty while the RE's have a 5 year warranty.

RE is more expensive than Black. Looking to keep cost down as this is a simple RAID 1 array. I've read some comments on Newegg about people with issues using the Red drives in a PC with other drives and that the general recommendation from a WD rep not to use Red drives in a standard PC and only in a NAS. But not much details were given as to why that is the case.

Sorry, I know the RE's are more expensive, but I didn't include the blacks because you can no longer enable the TLER feature on them so they may not be as reliable in RAID.

I don't see what difference it would make between NAS and a PC, but I guess if WD doesn't recommend it, I'd heed their advice. It would still be nice to have an explanation for this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.