Lenovo R61 UPGRADE

RdX995

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hello there,
I have a '2007 Lenovo ThinkPad R61 that I would like to upgrade to met my performance preferences. I'm considering between CPUs T7800 and T9500 (same bus speed 800MHz, TDP 35W), but, I'm still unsure is it possible. I have compared those two on intel pages and it seems they both have the same socket PPGA478. What I have now instaled is T7250 which is low on lvl2 cache (2MB) and low processing frequency (2GHz).

Also, there's a question for GPU as well. ThinkPad came with NVidia Quadro NVS 140M (128MB version), so I would like to know is it also possible to upgrade GPU as well.

Regards from Croatia,

RdX995

RdX995

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
BTW, I have red that max RAM is 4GB on the mainboard, but I'm unsure is it max upgradable RAM or is it max DELIVERED RAMs with this model. Mainboard is
Motherboard Model: LENOVO 8918B9G

Hello RdX99:

I upgraded my Lenovo R61 Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 CPU to a T9500 CPU. Increased my CPU performance from 2.1 gHz to 2.6 gHz and L2 Cache from 3MB to 6MB. A very noticeable increase in performance!. In fact, the temps for the upgraded Intel T9500 CPU never exceed 125 Degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius, mostly hovering around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Credit that with applying new Arctic Silver Thermal Paste on the replacement t9500 CPU and Intel 965 Integrated Graphics Chip. Apply only a "B.B" shot size of paste and thinly spread it over the face of the CPU and graphics chip. The old paste was dried up and caked so I removed it completely. I blew out the dust from the cooling fan and air radiator assembly also.

This took about 30 minutes start to finish. CPU replacement is easily accessible by removing Palm Rest, Keyboard, Speaker Bezel, and CPU-Graphics Chip Fastening screws in that order. No splitting open of the case is needed. Download .pdf file from Google on Lenovo R61 Hardware Repair Guide. Used my Samsung Galaxy Tablet for visual depictions of the process.

The maximum CPU that can be used on the Lenovo R61 is the Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU with an 800 mHz Front Side Bus. The T9550 and above speed CPU's have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus and are not compatible. The P Series CPU's are also not compatible if they have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus. Only 800 mHz Front Side Bus Specification is compatible.

The GPU is not upgradable because only integrated graphics are built in.

eBay is a good source for an Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU. A certified working CPU from a reputable eBay seller can be picked up for around $70 - $85. My purchased used one looked new and worked flawlessly.

I also installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD Drive and 4GB (2GB X 2) (The max allowed) PC 6400 DDR2 RAM.
The Lenovo R61 has blistering speed from its original specs and much cooler in temps! 5 Sec Boot-Up and Shutdown - for REAL.

That should cover it. Contact me at dfairad8u2@yahoo.com for any questions you might have.

Mark Pellowski

Hello RdX99:

I upgraded my Lenovo R61 Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 CPU to a T9500 CPU. Increased my CPU performance from 2.1 gHz to 2.6 gHz and L2 Cache from 3MB to 6MB. A very noticeable increase in performance!. In fact, the temps for the upgraded Intel T9500 CPU never exceed 125 Degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius, mostly hovering around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Credit that with applying new Arctic Silver Thermal Paste on the replacement t9500 CPU and Intel 965 Integrated Graphics Chip. Apply only a "B.B" shot size of paste and thinly spread it over the face of the CPU and graphics chip. The old paste was dried up and caked so I removed it completely. I blew out the dust from the cooling fan and air radiator assembly also.

This took about 30 minutes start to finish. CPU replacement is easily accessible by removing Palm Rest, Keyboard, Speaker Bezel, and CPU-Graphics Chip Fastening screws in that order. No splitting open of the case is needed. Download .pdf file from Google on Lenovo R61 Hardware Repair Guide. Used my Samsung Galaxy Tablet for visual depictions of the process.

The maximum CPU that can be used on the Lenovo R61 is the Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU with an 800 mHz Front Side Bus. The T9550 and above speed CPU's have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus and are not compatible. The P Series CPU's are also not compatible if they have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus. Only 800 mHz Front Side Bus Specification is compatible.

The GPU is not upgradable because only integrated graphics are built in.

eBay is a good source for an Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU. A certified working CPU from a reputable eBay seller can be picked up for around $70 - $85. My purchased used one looked new and worked flawlessly.

I also installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD Drive and 4GB (2GB X 2) (The max allowed) PC 6400 DDR2 RAM.
The Lenovo R61 has blistering speed from its original specs and much cooler in temps! 5 Sec Boot-Up and Shutdown - for REAL.

That should cover it. Contact me at dfairad8u2@yahoo.com for any questions you might have.

Mark Pellowski