Help with Fan issue

ibycus

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I'm a first time builder and I'm running an i5 3750 on a Asus p8z77-pro. I wanted to ask two questions and see if anyone had any feedback for me. While trying to get fan xpert 2 to work properly, I recently realized I had my CPU fan plugged into the wrong place on the motherboard. Now, having put it in the right place I get an error everytime I boot up my system that says "CPU fan error" and then I have to go into BIOS and after that it boots up. This is annoying and I can't figure out how to readjust it so it will stop doing this.

Also, I had a stock fan on the CPU and it was running a temperature while idle around the low 30's. I recently put a cooler master evo 212 on the CPU and now it runs around the high 30's to low 40's most of the time, but the temp never goes above the 40's even while playing Tomb Raider on Ultra or while processing hundreds of photos in Adobe. Did I maybe put the thing on wrong cause shouldn't it be running cooler than the stock fan?

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Did you apply thermal paste? And if so did you apply it after cleaning the old off? To much paste could interfere with cooling a bit. As for your cpu fan problem? I would try to reset your cmos (remove your mobo battery let it sit for a good bit of time then put the battery back in. Your old bios setting and such will be reset. Not sure if this will solve the problem or not but it was the first thing that came to mind.

ibycus

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Yes I cleaned the old thermal off and applied new but I didn't put more than something a little larger than a grain of rice.

As for removing the mother board battery, are there any side effects from doing that? It sounds like the right idea though.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The battery keeps your date and time and stores your bios settings. The only effect is that those will need to be reset to the way you want them to be. I suspect that it detected where your cpu fan was and saved it. So now when you turn it on it looks there for your cpu fan not finding it it errors on you That would be my guess.

ibycus

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks, well I've had it out almost since my last message until now but no good :-( What a simple thing but what a pain. I don't really know anything about bios so I'm not sure what to do and I really don't want to re-install my system just for this. I saw in the bios I could disable the requirement to hit F1 when an error happens at start up but that might not be the best idea to just turn it off because there is something a-miss in the system.

BTW I put a second fan on the evo212 heatsink and now temps are closer to what the stock fans were, still surprising though.

ibycus

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
One other thing for people reading. My computer when I shut down tends to power itself back up again within 5-10 min. Whats up with that? The second time I power it down it stays off.

ibycus

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
And just for the record I guess this seems to be a common problem with the evo 212 on a p8z77 board. The solution people having been coming up with has been to set the low RPM to 400 in the bios because the fan tends to start below 600 and then, boom, no more error message on start up.