Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 not recognizing Blue Caviar Harddrive (solved)

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2013 10:12:55 AM

Hello all, I recently bought a copy of win7. I get to the custom install screen but no harddrive shows up. I tried checking my motherboard CD for drivers but the install couldn't find any. I also tried setting the original sata1 to sata2 with the harddrive cable. My configuration in BIOS is IDE, I tried both AHCI and RAID and they both came up with the screen bootmgr was unable to load. Everytime I look up the problem on the net its either about AHCI or RAID, is IDE incompatible with win7? I wouldnt think so but I dont really know. I also tried looking for drivers at the harddrive's website but as far as I can tell there aren't any. The BIOS does recognize my harddrive, so does dos, and the repair screen selection in the actual install cd. (The drive used to have Vista 64bit when I tried the install cd but I formatted it to see if it would help) After I formatted it it didnt show up anymore on the repair selection screen. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

My setup is

Crosshair formula IV motherboard
AMD phenom II x4 965
Blue caviar HDD WD5000AAKS

The ANSWER:
Hey again,I managed to fix it. Turns out the problem was the regular windows format wasn't getting everything on the drive. So I used DBAN boot and nuke, it took about 11 hours but it worked!
a b $ Windows 7
a c 813 G Storage
March 12, 2013 7:16:14 PM

Make sure the drive is attached to the AMD 850SB sata3 port and not the jmicron port (black). In theb ios, have the amd ports set to AHCI mode and win7 should detect the drive. If its a brand new drive you will need to partition and format it during install.
March 12, 2013 9:06:09 PM

popatim said:
Make sure the drive is attached to the AMD 850SB sata3 port and not the jmicron port (black). In theb ios, have the amd ports set to AHCI mode and win7 should detect the drive. If its a brand new drive you will need to partition and format it during install.

I tried what you said sata1-4 was ahci and so was 5-6 and first it said bootmgr couldnt load, then i saw that my sata ports 5-6 had to be configured to IDE my dvd drive is on sata5, 5-6 are apparently supposed to be reserved for the optical drives according to my manual. Once i changed to IDE it loaded fine but the drive still wouldnt show up. Again dos recognizes it, i did a list command in diskpart, its partitioned and formatted properly the file system is ntfs. And now my hardrive wont show up in the bios, only 5-6. Im not sure where to go from here. Guys, any help?

Also I looked and Im not sure if this makes a difference or not, but in my boot configuration the drive was listed and listed as IDE.
Related resources
!