670 - Coil Whine?

itsjack

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
It seems to regularly run coil whine. I opened up my case and was struggling to tell between it being the PSU or GPU.
After more research it apparently takes 2 to make coil whine and is most commonly between the GPU and PSU.

I seem to get coin whine that is most prominent in game menus. Similar to what others have had. Unfortunately, I can hear the sound a tad through my headphones. I have tried the headphones in either slot of the audio jacks of the PC. (back&front)

CAN just running the card on the game menu eventually get rid of it?

+ What would it be best to replace, I may get a new PSU anyway. So could that fix it? It could be the graphics card. I previously had a 560 in there.

When running prime95 on the processor it doesn't create this sound. I assume from that it mainly generates from the GPU. Also, could changing the slot it's in get rid of it? Can chaning around the 6-pin connectors? I have a few others available.

-Thanks, Jack. I will keep you updated etc!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I get this on my EVGA GTX 670 as well. It's not as loud as some other cards have given me (9800gx2 I'm looking at you), so it doesn't bother me as much so I just deal with it.

Not sure how you'd solve this though.

itsjack

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

I appreciate the reply very much!
I am already getting used to it now if i'm honest. I am enabling v-sync on everything now and that vastly reduces it, so it's not too bad. Also, when in game audio it's not too bad.
I am trying just to run it for quite a while and maybe that'll change it.