Which Mouse and Keyboard to go with for gaming

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Well... background. I have been computer gaming and playing mainly mmos since 1998. In that time, I have been using a 12 year old Dell keyboard and an old Microsoft Intellimouse since those first game out and figure it is time to upgrade... (surprisingly after logging about 2 years worth of time on them they still work)

The question is what do I go with. I know on keyboards I should be looking at mechanical now (right?). I actually like the feel of the Dell keyboard because I am used to it.. maybe a less depression strength would be nice, and I like the bounce feel. I like the sound of the old keyboard too.. So does that mean I should go with a Cherry MX Brown keys? Hard to find many stores here with mechanical boards to test out. I tried out a Cherry MX Blue and I liked its feel alright, but the sound was a tad loud for me.

I have read about a few boards and wanted thoughts

1. Logitech G710+ - I like their gear and sound dampening on the MX Brown keys sounds good.. what do you all think?

2. Corsair K90 - great reviews.. i like aluminum body. MX Red though... not sure if i would like the non-tactile and completely softness

3. Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Elite - MX Browns.. Tried another blackwidow with MX Blues as mentioned

4. Azio Levetron Mech5 - looked like a new board with MX Black.. not bad looking

or should i just go with a simple Ducky DK9008 Shine II or something with MX Brown. Once you get the extra keys do you want them more?

Is the mechanical overrated? should i just go with a Logitech 510 + G500 mouse.. saw Newegg had that combo on sale for $99 with 15% rebate, or a Micosoft Sidewinder X4

As far as mice..

1. Logitech G9x looks to be awesome
2. Logitech G600
3. something else?

Ashmen

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Personally, I use a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013. If you are using your keyboard purely for gaming, I wouldn't suggest MX Blue mechanical switches just because it's loud and may disturb you when you are playing games. However, if you use your keyboard for work or projects, you may want MX Blue switches because listening to the keys press down is enjoyable (totally up to you though). All of the keyboards you have mentioned have macro keys. I feel like the Azio Levetron is just too large for me and contains too many unnecessary keys. In addition, the Azio Levetron removes F1 - F4 and replaces it with macro keys which may result in some getting used to.

The Corsair K90 has a large palm rest (but detachable) which could get annoying and it looks vulnerable to liquid spills on the keyboard because the keys are slightly higher up than regular mechanical keyboards. It has USB ports which is a plus if you want to connect the gaming mouse you will plan to use.

Moving on to the Logitech G710+, it has a detachable palm rest. If you do detach it, you are left with no palm rest at all though. It is slightly bigger than the Corsair keyboard as well. However, the Logitech G710+ is silent. It is good if you do not want to annoy people around you or when voice chatting during a game or on a Skype call.

The keys do not make much of a difference other than the feel and loudness of them. For gamers that enjoy all of the game genres (FPS, MMOs etc.), I suggest MX Brown switches, it has a soft, tactile feel halfway between when you press the keys and it is not loud. If you are solely into MMOs, try MX Black or MX Red switches (easy to double tap, non-tactile, no click or bump when key is pressed).

For gaming mice, you can get an impressive gaming mice for a very cheap price. Personally, I use a CM Storm Sentinel Advance II, you can change the DPI (sensitivity) to 200 - 8200 DPI. Most gaming mice reach up to 6000 DPI, but 8200 DPI is just a crazy sensitivity level. You can customize its weight (from the back), it lights up to many colors, can change sensitivity levels with a press of a button, you can also create your own logo to put on your mouse. For more information: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/sentineladvanceII/

Cons:
- Some material wears off after a year or so of gaming. (Do NOT use alcohol or any cleaning agent to clean that mouse)
- Back of the mouse collects dust extremely quickly
- Ergonomic designed ONLY for right-handed gamers

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks. Good information. Yea I think I need to go with MX Brown. While I do play mmos, typing out stuff to people I could see get annoying with MX Red.

Nice mouse. Just have to find a place in town to get my hands on it. That is the one annoying thing about boards and mice.. The "feel" is so important so you kind of have to feel it before you buy it unlike computer components, and hard to find places that have a nice variety of ones to feel.

Ashmen

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Now, if you go to this link: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/sentineladvanceII/ and click on the "Check Shops" tab (right hand corner), you can access stores that sell and distribute CM Storm products in any part of the world. Glad to help someone out :D

if you type alot you want tactile feedback at a minimum. personally i like the auditory feedback also (so blues are a good choice for me).

mechanical keyboards are superior in may ways but are not perfect for everyone. they are often crisp and precise unlike the gummy feeling of rubber dome keyboards. if you like the gummy feeling perhaps you should get rubber dampers installed (i know wasd keyboards does this as an option) or go with a gaming rubber dome keyboard from logitech.

--

logitech G series mice are normally a good choice. razer deathadders also work. definitely avoid any rat7 products.

keep in mind the difference between laser and led (optical). if you tend to lift your mouse up off the surface you do not want laser as it will track the mouse across the screen. optical doesnt do this.