Gpu advice simcity

xtjaga3

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Looking to build a pc mainly for simcity, and possibly a little dayz standalone. Want to max out simcity at 1080p on a 23 inch screen. CPU will be an i5 3350p. Current build is set up with a stock oc'ed 7870 for a little over $200 but I don't think I need that good of a card. What's the cheapest card that will max out simcity? Or suggest the cheapest intel build that will max out simcity on a 23 inch 1080p monitor.
Also, any CPU or GPU benchmarks out for simcity yet?
Thanks!
No microcenter nearby. Will order all from newegg.

xtjaga3

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

From browsing the forums, I have seen some people playing it on low settings due to their "older" gpu. I want want the settings maxed out and the gameplay to remain smooth. I figure some type of dedicated card is needed.

SmilesAustin

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
FWIW - SimCity is what led me to my build as well. He's referring to the new 2013 SimCity and while it may not be on the same level as other graphics-intense computer games, it does require something. I have a quad-core 2.0ghz AMD chip in my current computer (from around 2007) with an integrated Radeon 3200 and my computer can't handle the game. It "works" on my machine, but it's very laggy and the graphics are awful on the lowest setting. Plus when you zoom out on the city, chunks of the roads start to disappear, etc.

Game-Debate.com recommends the HD 4890, but I have no idea how that compares to newer radeon cards. I was planning originally on the HD7750 but ended up going with the HD7870. The parts arrive on Thursday for my build so I can let you know how it goes once I get it built. I'm quite certain the HD7870 is overkill for just SimCity, though. But again, my old HD3200 doesn't even come close.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3562&game=SimCity

slammers

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
7770 would be sufficient for Sim City, but get a 7850/7870 if you want to max it out with ease.
Ps @SmilesAustin chunks or road disapearing and numerous other graphical glitches are in abundance throughout the game on my 660 also

xtjaga3

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I have read multiple reports that integrated graphics require setting most graphics options to low. I want to run them all on high. Also, I am looking to spend less money, not more.

SmilesAustin

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
^ Is that true?

Game-Debate.com Suggests the Radeon X1800 series 256MB GPU for COD MOW and 2GB RAM. They suggest the Radeon HD4850 and 4GB RAM for SimCity. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but my understanding is that the new SimCity game (that came out 7 days ago) is pretty graphics/resource intensive on the highest settings.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4&game=Call%20of%20Duty%204:%20Modern%20Warfare
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3562&game=SimCity

I'm only asking, because realistically I don't know any other way to measure other than looking at the difference in the system requirements for each game.

i was talking about MW3 not CoD4 (its easy to make a mistake since CoD is the same game every year). MW3 is a bit more intensive than Cod4

anyways, it doesnt exactly need that much GPU horsepower to drive that game. if you want to be safe and all, the 7870 will do that for you