Computer randomly shutting off

tetsiga116

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I have had this problem for about two and a half weeks. I will be playing some sort of game( doesn't matter the game) and my computer will just randomly shut off and turn back on like power went out for half a second. I just got a new graphics card radeon 7970 ghz edition and had it for more than a week before this started to happen. We think it might be the power supply because all of my temps are normal the GPU 60 C and CPU 50 C. I did have to RMA my power supply about a month and a half ago because it randomly stopped working. I jave tried alot of things like change from windows 7 to 8, take out ram, different power cord (just in case of a short). If anyone has any ideas that would would most appreciated.

Graphics card- Radeon 7970 ghz edition
CPU- intel core i7-2600k @ 3.40 ghz (8 cores)
8 gigs of ram
Mobo - MSI Z77A-G45
Power supply - 750 watt

Intermittent PSU faults are impossible to check for, the only thing to do is replace it and hope that was the cause of the problem.
If it turns out not to be the PSU, well at least you've proved something and a spare PSU will always come in handy sometime so it won't have been money wasted.

spacerconrad

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I'd go with the above, find a known-good PSU and try it, and you could also try to swap your old vid card back in, just to cover all your bases. Free and easy if you still have the card.
Having two power supplies with the same problem is fairly rare, but not unheard of.