AMD 6850 runs loud and uses more power after waking from sleep

unrealdude24

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
My AMD 6850 runs fine when starting the computer from powered down. But when the pc wakes up from sleep mode, the graphics card runs a lot more loudly. The fan speed runs at 60% even though there's nothing using the GPU. Sleeping again will not solve the problem, only restarting. I have the latest drivers and windows updates already.

Before the computer goes to sleep for the first time, the power usage is around 130 Watts (including monitor). After the PC wakes up from sleep, the power usage is 189 Watts (including monitor).

I have the XFX 6850 Black Edition with the P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

Has anyone else experienced this and know of a solution?

When playing games the fan/power usage will increase even more, which is expected, but once the game is exited, it will return to post-sleep levels (still increased fan and power).

Now what's REALLY interesting is when I open GPU-Z. You will see GPU frequency set to 1100 MHz for a brief period of time, and then it will drop to 300 MHz and the GPU fan will gradually slow down and power usage will return to proper levels (pre-sleep). So basically, every time I wake up the computer, I have to run GPU-Z to bring down the clock and fan speeds. I'm not modifying any settings (I don't think you can modify anything anyways with GPU-Z), I'm JUST viewing the GPU readings.

ALSO I'm using LucidVirtu in i mode to use the integrated graphics when I'm not gaming, which means there's NO process using the dedicated GPU unless I explicitly set it in the Virtu control panel.

Thanks!

Edit: Here's a sensor log if anyone's interested:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=qeCzHZV2
I took this log 15 minutes after waking up PC from sleep

cherried_jzk

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I'm having the same issue with my crossfire 6870s, but only in the second card. I've yet to find a solution but i'm glad to know i'm not the only one out there with the problem.

Are you running windows 7 or 8? I'm on 8 and maybe that's the issue, if you're on 7 then obviously it's not.

unrealdude24

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

I'm running windows 7. Still having the issue. Are you also using lucidVirtu? If that's the cause, I'll just disable it although I really wanted to use the onboard VGA port cause the graphics card did not come with an adapter.

Jim Stichka

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I'm running windows 7, I have two 6850's in crossfire that behave normally, but I stuck a 6950 in for doing computational stuff, and it also runs normally from a cold start, but somehow runs at full load after waking from sleep. I have no idea what's causing this.