Can any mini displayport adapter work on the surface pro?

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I am looking into getting an adapter for when I need to do presentations in school on powerpoint. I have been looking into mini displayport adapters and they are all similarly priced but I see the surface pro version are a few dollars more than the surface RT versions. Is this just a marketing gimmick from microsoft? The cables look identical.

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Well I found out that the Surface RT uses a micro hdmi instead of a mini display port so indeed the cables will not work. But for me the price of these cables is 44.99 when I see cheap 5 dollar mini displayport adapters on amazon for 5 bucks. Hoping they will work.

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I have read that the new apple has that thunderbolt technology in it. that may be a reason why. I read that third-party mini displayports do work on the surface pro. But the angle of the device may interfere so you may have to trim it a bit.

It is also apparently easy to put it upside down since the plug is similar to a rectangle. You want the marked end to be on the bottom of the tablet I think. If not flip it around. Try and push it in more as well.

FromKev

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
My Apple mini display was a brand new one, maybe it was "Thrunderbolted", I think I've inserted correctly...
Anyway, ...waiting for my no-name adapter, 5$, should have soon...