Sign in with
Your question

SLI or not SLI?

Last response: in Video Games
March 12, 2013 3:23:13 PM

Does everybody who uses SLI get visual glitches, non constant fps and that kind of stuff? Or does it depend on the gpus themselves?

I was thinking of putting two MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB OC TwinFrozrIII cards together, but it seems very unstable.

Here is the rest of my PC if that helps:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4Ghz
Graphics card: MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB OC TwinFrozrIII
RAM: 12GB 1333Mhz (3x4GB)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
PSU: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze

More about : sli sli

March 12, 2013 4:23:50 PM

Kypav said:
Does everybody who uses SLI get visual glitches, non constant fps and that kind of stuff? Or does it depend on the gpus themselves?

I was thinking of putting two MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB OC TwinFrozrIII cards together, but it seems very unstable.

Here is the rest of my PC if that helps:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4Ghz
Graphics card: MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB OC TwinFrozrIII
RAM: 12GB 1333Mhz (3x4GB)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
PSU: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze

Some people seem to notice micro-stutters etc but other people say they have never seen them so it's either luck of the draw or some people are just incredibly picky (I'm guessing option 2 :p ). Honestly if you're gonna go with 2x gtx 660's you are probably better of getting a single gtx 670 or amd 7970 and then later on you could sli/crossfire them if you wanted too because in all honestly single card set-ups just work better.
March 13, 2013 6:36:46 AM

I'm on sli msi 670 pe oc 2gb and haven't run into too many problems in terms of glitches/crashes. In fact only game that gave me a problem was max payne 3 but I got that sorted out. However, I will say that you should like tinkering around with settings and drivers if you go sli or else you may get frustrated quick (see crysis 3 beta launch)
Related resources
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 13, 2013 11:48:33 AM

I get no visual glitches or crashes. I really haven't had any problems with SLI. I've gone from 2 580s to 2 680s with great performance with both setups. If the trend continues, I'll always run with two cards in SLI.

On the other hand, I did experience microstutter in crossfire constantly. I am no stranger to it. When I traded my two Radeon 5850s in for two GTX 580s it smoothed everything right out.
March 13, 2013 5:53:14 PM

I don't know if my computer counts because its SLI on one card (gtx 295) but I have not noticed inconsistent frame rates on my computer at all :/ 
March 22, 2013 2:52:05 PM

I've been using twin 560ti's for almost a year and I'm very happy with the performance overall. The only real problem with sli/crossfire is that you will come across games that don't scale that well, if at all. In those cases, you're essentially going to be relying on one card. Personally, I think the best move is to buy the best single gpu that you can afford, and then maybe look at adding a second down the road when you need a performance boost.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 22, 2013 4:26:00 PM

A lot of people don't realize what microstuttering looks like. You can count me as one. It wasn't until I saw some videos from review sites that I learned with it is, and I've had microstuttering before, and you can get the same problem with a single card. Until the latest beta drivers, AMD had a lot of it in some games, so make sure to get the latest drivers if you are using AMD. They still have the issue with crossfire.

Basically the microstutters look like little hickups in the action. Every once in a while you get a little stutter, and then it continues on. Most people have just learned to ignore them, because it has existed a long time, but a couple years ago Nvidia started adding hardware to help reduce it, and it has worked. Now AMD is aware that the problem is on their side, and starting to fix their games too.

Anyways, I have 680's, and while I don't get much microstutter, I can confirm I do get some once in a while, usually in specific spots in games. Far Cry 3 gives me some stuttering when in a couple cut-scenes when the view moves side to side a lot, but it is the only spot I've seen it. In real time, the game is very fluid. I don't know if that is a game issue or SLI, but it would be nice if it didn't exist.
March 25, 2013 7:35:08 AM

I think the only disadvantages of SLI are that (a) it's more expensive because you have to pay for the 2nd GPU, and a PSU and motherboard that can support it and (b) it will create more heat, so you should have a case with excellent airflow / cooling to avoid overheating issues. You already have the PSU and I'll assume money for the GPU isn't an issue. But the other question to ask is if you really need SLI. Are there games you have or want to get that you currently aren't able to run on max settings? There's no point in having SLI if you don't need it.
!