Member since 1969

Solution
For some reason it's changing between the two dates because when I last posted it showed the 1970 date and now it's the 1969 date. I'm starting to think it has to do with the browsers I'm using. Since the launch I've had some problems so I've been switching between IE10 and Chrome and with IE10 the url says Tomsharware.co.uk and with Chrome it says Tomshardware .com , with IE10 it says 1970 and with Chrome it says 1969. Must have something to do with the time zones.
It really is baffeling as to why it would show a date so far back when the site didn't even exist , other people seem to have the right date as I've seen 2003 2007 2010 2012 and so on. Maybe after this launch settles down I'll ask Joe and see if he can find out and if I get...
The link you posted takes me to my profile? Yes in my profile it has now changed to Dec,31, 1969 but if you hover your mouse over your avatar it will say Jan.1, 1970 like it does mine. Dec 31,1969 or Jan.1,1970 only one day and makes no difference.

For some reason it's changing between the two dates because when I last posted it showed the 1970 date and now it's the 1969 date. I'm starting to think it has to do with the browsers I'm using. Since the launch I've had some problems so I've been switching between IE10 and Chrome and with IE10 the url says Tomsharware.co.uk and with Chrome it says Tomshardware .com , with IE10 it says 1970 and with Chrome it says 1969. Must have something to do with the time zones.
It really is baffeling as to why it would show a date so far back when the site didn't even exist , other people seem to have the right date as I've seen 2003 2007 2010 2012 and so on. Maybe after this launch settles down I'll ask Joe and see if he can find out and if I get an answer I'll let you know. If you find out first let me know.

Solution

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
This is very funny. The "Member Since" date is traveling back in time, it looks like. Those of you who joined before our last platform update appear to have gotten older, like some kind of blueshift star. This is so far the most hilarious bug from the transition, and has "Summer of 69" stuck in my head now. :p

I'll send this on to the dev team to take a peek at.

I noticed it when I was posting something and I just happened to see the date of the post and it said March 13 and when I looked at the time it was before midnight and still the 12th , then it clicked with the .co.uk url I had in the address bar.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
What do you guys think, by the way, of the date set for legacy members? Do you think it would make more sense to have everyone set to April 1st, 1996, when Tom's Hardware was first founded and went online? Or do you prefer to have it kept at 1970?

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I was told in one of my other threads that this happened to the users who were here before the previous migration. After the migration, the join date was just defaulted to Jan 1 1970, for some reason. Users like me who joined much later have the real join date, but even mine has moved back by a day, from aug 22 to 21.

Before the migration my join date was always 1970 and just never thought anything of it and accepted it as a glitch so when this new migration kept it the same it seemed normal but then because of the merge with the UK site the time zone affected some dates and like in your case seemed to move it a day.

I could at least in part understand the 01/01/1970 date in Linux terms but how it got back to the day before that is a complete mystery. I'd love to hear the Dev Teams views on how that happened.

Rolli _ I think I'd be a lot more concerned at becoming an Ancient although I get called worse on the average day. :D Master suited you better.

randomizer

Champion
I theorise that although the Unix Epoch (a common "default" date) is Jan 1st 1970, the forum is probably running on PST, so it thinks the Epoch is the previous day, ie. Dec 31st 1969.

Crikey, that's the first thing that has made sense to me all day.

This problem was first noticed in 2006-7 after the great purge when some of our old accounts and posts were inadvertantly killed off when the previous incompetent owners started fiddling with the thorium reactor.

Joe I would simply leave it as it may inadvertantly delete all of the old forum posts or mess things up.

Who really cares about signup date anyway ??

randomizer

Champion

Genius! How has nobody thought of this until now? It would have been the most logical fix last time as well.

Are you starting to feel old? :D

lol exactly!

Currently you can't and your stuck with a badge of some type unless they add a fix to choose no badge.