Radeon 7870: 2 bad cards in a row, or compatibility problem?

CdrDave

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hi, just returned a Radeon 7870 and received a replacement a few days later (Thanks Amazon) and I'm having exactly the same problem. I bought this card to replace a dying GTX 295. However, once I install the card, during the boot sequence, the computer will repeatedly reboot right before the Windows splash screen. I'm running this on an EVGA x58 SLI motherboard. EVGA tech support thought it was an existing driver conflict so we tried to boot into safe mode to remove the old drivers, but I could not do so without first putting in the old card (it still works with text and basic windows at low res.) Swapped cards, removed all references to Nvidia from the drive, and still get the same problem.

What are the odds I received 2 bad Radeon 7870 cards in a row?? Or is it possible this card just isn't compatible with the EVGA x58 MB (their tech support said it should be.) I'm tempted to just return this 2nd one and get a 660ti instead.

Any thoughts?

CdrDave

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

I ran driversweeper with the same results. This computer is the hub of my recording studio with months of work and audio files that I don't want to risk losing, as well as 100's of gigs of sample libraries that I would never want to reinstall. I'm sure I have the latest windows updates which would require uninstalling before trying a repair. Maybe I'll give it a go before returning.

CdrDave

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Ok, I believe this has been solved. Re-flashed BIOS with latest version and everything fired up as normal. Now to just update drivers. Thanks for the suggestions though.