Color issue on identical dual displays

awesomemn

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I am super frustrated, I have had a dual display setup for quite some time now. I started out with identical Acer 21.5" LED monitors with DVI connections and a Radeon 6870 graphics card on windows 7 64 bit. The right-hand display was always brighter and more saturated. I adjusted in windows color management and on the OSD, no luck. I replaced a monitor, same issue. I swapped the left monitor and the right, the right is always off. I got a Radeon 7770, same issue, so returned it. I tried new wires, same issue. I got a Pantone Huey Pro calibrator, even worse...

So I decided to buy a new GTX 660 and 2 ASUS PA248Q color calibrated Pro Art monitors with color testing profiles loaded... STILL the right monitor is brighter and more saturated! I reloaded the ICC profile from the ASUS CD.

I hooked up a 3rd display via HDMI (Vizio LED TV and it looks fine and matches the left display but the right ASUS is off. Same as the Acers. It's not the monitors, not the wires, not the graphics cards...

What else could it be? Do I have a bad motherboard or need to wipe windows 7 clean? Am very tech savvy and this is driving me nuts.

dingo07

Distinguished
I'm actually struggling with the same issue. I have a Dell U2412M that's amazing so I decided to get anther for more space to work. Well, after connecting it for the first time, and seeing a yellow-ish tint to it, called Dell back and told them to send me another one because it's defective (so I thought!) The 2nd new one arrives and connect it and the same thing happens - yellow-ish tint to the display.

After trying every possible solution between 3 exact same displays (2 brand new), 2 PCIe slots, 2 GPUs that are SLI'd, new cables, off the UPS and on, first DVI connection on both cards, etc... I cannot get the 2nd monitor (that Windows sees) to be normal.

I'm convinced Windows is not allowing the Dell U2412M ICC profile to impact monitor #2.

I would greatly appreciate a Windows 7 expert's thoughts on how to force Windows' monitor #2 to accept a specific icc profile - without using the built in windows color correction.

I refuse to pay for a calibration when clearly Windows has it's hand in the cookie jar!

Oh - and I had already tried uninstalling the gpus in device manager while in Safe mode, then removing the files with driver fusion and ccleaner, rebooting several times until there's no files left, then installing the latest drivers as admin.

dingo07

Distinguished
Well, after some searching awesomemn, I found out your Asus PA248Q has the same panel as my Dell U2412M - the LG LM240W8-SLA2
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
Put in PA248q and hit search

This review shows the Dell panel uses the LG display - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

With that said, you can use the icc profile I just used to get both my monitors nearly spot on (by my eye). The key is using this handy software to force the icc profile to be active. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/downloads/DisplayProfile.zip
Run the program and put the window on the screen you want the icc profile you select to be active on. Then close the program and open it again, moving the window to the other screen and selecting the same icc profile.

Now, here's where you get the icc profile - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

As you can see there's several for the Dell U2412M. I tried 2 before finally settling on the third that looks near perfect to me on both my monitors. It's called "Dell U2412M (Custom)" for panel version A00 (which you find on the back of the panel on the sticker with the serial number), with Custom Color Preset Mode set to R=98 G=90 B=92. First check to see if the version number applies to your Asus, it might not and then you'll have to experiment with each icc profile.

When you've found the icc profile you feel is best, make sure you go through the "Install and Activate an ICC Profile" section towards the bottom of the ICC Profiles page. You want to make sure there's only one icc profile in the list on the Color Management and Color Management - System Defaults page