Need Help Setting Up a Gigabit Network

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hey,
I'm planning on getting a computer for my birthday and putting it in my bedroom.
I want the fastest speed and plan on using a gigabit network. I don't need a wireless router, just wired connection. I know I need a cat5e or 6 cable but what else will I need to reach 100+ mbps. Do I need a 100 mbps modem or switch? Currently I have 12-20 mbps download speed.

Thanks

Are you talking about your internet speed or the network speed? If you want faster internet speeds, you need to buy whatever package you want from your ISP. If you want to have 1 gig speeds in the internal network, any systems connected to each other need to be running at 1 gig speeds, so any 100mb devices need to be upgraded.

How fast your internal network is does not have anything to do with how fast your internet speed is unless your internal network is slower than the speeds you get from your ISP.

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Network speeds. I want to setup a wired connection in my bedroom. Also do I use the phone line?

Use a phone line for what? For the network? No, just connect the network cable from the PC to the switch you are using.

This has nothing to do with your download speed though, which is why I asked if you were talking about internal network speeds or download speeds since you listed that in your post. A gigabit network card and router/switch will not make your download speeds any faster. The only thing that will affect is the data transfer between computers inside the house. Not that it will hurt any to have a full gigabit network, but no need to upgrade things if you don't have to.

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

So you are saying a gigabit network will not affect the download and upload speeds. I wanted to get around 100 mbps but I guess I have to pay my isp for that right?

Yes, that's what I am saying, which is why I asked exactly what you were trying to get out of this because it sounded like you were confused as to how the network setup worked and were working under the wrong assumptions.

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

What can I do to improve my download speeds and will this affect gaming? I'm currently using rogers cable and want higher speeds.

Download speeds on their own won't do much for gaming, you want a low latency connection. Do a ping test to the gaming servers and see what that is. If you want faster speeds, contact the ISP and order the faster connection, or swap ISPs.