Ubuntu 12.10 black screen problem

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I just installed ubuntu via wubi and all i get is the reddish-purpleish splash screen and then the screen just goes black. I am running my pc with intel hd graphics 4000 w/ a 3570k at stock speeds just in case that matters. Is there a way i can get a picture in the screen so i can fix it; i really dont want to do anything that i cant see though

neodymium

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Does your motherboard have UEFI and secure boot? I noticed that you have Windows 8 on your computer. Windows 8 sets up the secure boot and UEFI to prevent software that doesn't have their name in it from initializing. This could be the issue. In that case, you would have to move your Windows to a secondary hard drive and then do a motherboard reset and install Ubuntu using a CD or USB.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
This sounds like a driver issue. Sometimes the correct drivers are proprietary and have to be installed separately.

The easiest solution is to edit GRUB and add "nomodeset" after "quiet splash". This will set Ubuntu to a generic driver. (Unfortunately it may be low quality, but it should work as a temporary solution." Long term, you should look up your system and figure out the correct driver to install.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
GRUB is the program that lets you choose which system to boot. If you are dual booting, it should come up automatically. If you are booting Ubuntu automatically, it may skip the GRUB screen. In that case, hold or press repeatedly "SHIFT" immediately upon turning the power on. Instead of booting Ubuntu, press "E" to edit GRUB. Then follow the above instructions from there.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
GRUB is the Linux bootloader, not the Windows one. Somehow you have to get to GRUB before Windows kicks in. Do you have Windows loading by default? Is there a way to change that in Windows? Sorry, I don't have experience with this problem in a dual boot setup.

If not, what choices does the WIndows bootloader give you? If you can boot Ubuntu through the Windows bootloader, try that and immediately press "SHIFT". If that still isn't working, try CTRL-ALT-F1 to boot straight into Linux terminal. Then follow the commands above.

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Ok i first installed win 7 then installed ubuntu through it but when i boot the pc it gives me the bios flash and when goes to windows boot manager and it gives me the option to boot win7 or ubuntu

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Ok i first installed win 7 then installed ubuntu through it but when i boot the pc it gives me the bios flash and when goes to windows boot manager and it gives me the option to boot win7 or ubuntu

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Try pressing Shift or CTRL-ALT-F1 immediately on bios flash, before it gets to the Windows bootloader. Shift should give you GRUB, CRTL-ALT-F1 should give you Linux terminal.

If that is not working and it goes straight to Windows bootloader, select Ubuntu and immediately press Shift or CTRL-ALT-F1.

Can you get to GRUB or Linux terminal using either of these methods?

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
OK, when you get into GRUB press E. This will allow you to edit.

You should see a line toward the bottom starting with "linux" followed by a bunch of code. This is telling GRUB what kernel to load and what parameters. At the end of that line you should see the term "quiet splash". Add the word "nomodeset" so it should say "quiet splash nomodeset".

Press Ctrl-X to save and exit. It should boot with generic driver and you should be good to go. At some point you will want to look up the correct proprietary driver to get maximum resolution, but this should work for now.

See also these instructions:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/147285/unable-to-boot-into-ubuntu-12-04

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
At least you are making progress! I had something similar and nomodeset did it for me. I am fairly certain it is an issue with proprietary graphics drivers but not sure how to fix it, especially in dual boot context.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
One more thing to try...I just noticed the video card in your signature. Is this the system you are running? In that case, the problem may be the drivers for the video card.

Somehow you need to get to a terminal to enter the commands manually. When you get to GRUB, is there an option to boot in recovery or low graphics mode? Try that. THen select your terminal program or press CTRL-ALT-T to bring it up.

If that doesn't work, continue to boot to your purple screen and press CTRL-ALT-T and see if that brings up your terminal.

If you can get to terminal using either method, enter the commands at this link to install Nvidia drivers.

Here is a link that tells you the commands:

http://www.techlw.com/2012/06/install-nvidia-driver-in-ubuntu.html

Once you have completed this, try reboot and see if this works. If it is still not working, try erasing the nomodeset command.

One last option would be to try reinstalling using a different method, such as a USB stick.