2 ip addresses needed to use or not use router?

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
To solve some slow downloading problems my internet provider asked me if I was using a router, and if so, to take it out and test the download speeds. I do have one (wired) and I did remove it and then... no internet connection.
I asked the internet provider what was going on and they said that I needed another dynamic ip address when I did not use the router. In other words, I had to have from them a separate ip address when I used the router, and another one for when I took out the router.

Seems odd to me, because when i connected the router originally I don't remember anything about another ip address from the internet provider.

What is going on here? Is it true that two ip addressed must be provided to use or not use the router?

XP Home SP3, emachines t5026, Dlink ebr-2310 router, between internet cable and PC. (Planning to make a home network adding my laptop. Nothing complicated)

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Your "line" already has an IP address assigned to the routers MAC address. You need to reboot the modem to force the ISP's DHCP server to assign a new IP address to the MAC address of your PC. Just power off your modem for a couple of minutes, and then power it back on, refresh your IP in your PC assuming you have it set dynamically. Of course that is done by rebooting as well... The PC this time...

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

No, did not think of it, and was not told to by the tech. Thanks

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Thanks.

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

No the tech said nothing except he did something at his end. Which was probably to reboot the modem, from what I read of the answers here. And that he assigned me a second ip address, at no charge. Still can't figure out why I need two ip addresses. Thanks