Replace FX Processor CPU Fan

Leo Dragons

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Hello everyone, this forum solved many doubts i had in the past, and saved me from several computer disasters (and still does) so i believe it's time to get involved in it.

To begin with here's my issue, i recently got a FX 8120 processor, temperatures perform pretty well under load (even using prime95). They don't go over 43-47º C with stock cooler, but the problem is that this cooler does too much noise. I have a fan from an old Athlon Processor i had, which is bigger and makes less noise, and seems to fit perfectly on the FX heatsink. My question is if it is possible to replace the fan (not the heatsink) and put that fan from the Athlon pc that still works in the FX heatsink ?

Thanks for your help.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Wouldn't hurt to try. Just remove the 4 screws located on the fan and see if it works size-wise, width and screws go all the way through. If not, just screw it back on. Measure the size against it. Not sure what your old Athlon was but Bulldozer does run pretty hot and your old Athlon fan may run at the same speed/same noise.

Use that screwdriver.

Leo Dragons

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Yeah, my actual cooler looks like the one on the right, the one i want to replace it with (my old Athlon Cooler) looks like this one exactly (only the cooler): http://img1.mlstatic.com/cooler-foxconn-para-amd-en-caja_MLA-O-2600373313_042012.jpg

Leo Dragons

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Another question, i don't see any screws near the fan or inside the holes it has, instead i see some plastic things holding it. How to i take it out of the heatsink ?

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

pull the plastic surround off fan falls out , plastic surround just has to be pried off at the 4 points the little plastic pieces grab the heatsink

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

the old athlon cooler you show will not cool an fx cpu well , the stock one with heatpipes is just adequate