COOLER MASTER cpu fan died. Questions and Solutions

gurzy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
So I've been using my first custom built pc for about 3 months now. The CPU cooler brand I use is COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO. After 3 months it started whirring and making loud sounds so I used 3-In-1 Multi purpose 30 oz. light weight oil. It worked for a day or two and didn't make noise but then it stopped altogether the third day. The way I oiled it was just dropping 3 drops between the fan inside the opening where the motor is and maybe it must have gummed it so it wouldn't turn as easily anymore.. I looked online to see how to oil a sleeve type of fan and I followed the steps but there was nothing underneath the sticker or opening to the metal rod. (Hence why I just dropped a few in between the opening between the fan).

I know it is probably my fault and I'll be aware not to do that again but how should I have fixed this problem? I didn't think adding oil in between would mess it up that bad. Also the clearance between my fan and the RAM is nonexistent. I occupy all 4 RAM slots and the last RAM Slot pushes against the cpu fan slightly. Would this have any effect on the lifespan of my fan? Also what are alternate ways of replacing the fan now. I'm unsure what to buy or how this works. Since it's a 120mm fan all I have to do is buy any 120mm fan and install spare brackets that came with my cpu cooler and attach them on right? What fans would you recommend me buying? A Noctua fan or should I buy the same COOLERMASTER fan. Links wouls be appreciated preferably amazon or newegg.

Having your fan abut the ram module should not affect the fan operation. For replacement, most any 120mm fan should work. I believe you'll want PWM connection so the fan can be controlled by the motherboard. Are you concerned with noise, some fans are very loud, some are rather quiet. What's your budget for a fan, some run over $30, basically doubling the price of your air cooler.

gurzy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Hey, thanks for responding. Anything below $50 for a fan is good for me. I would like to have a fan that doesn't buzz after 3 months of use however. Do you have any suggestions?

Here is what I was thinking: Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan

Noctua NF-P12 120 mm Nine Blade SSO Bearing Fan with VCN

I know the RPM is lower than the original fan but I would like something more quiet and I don't game too intensively as to where I use a lot of power. For example when I play Farcry 3 on ultra settings I don't go past 75 celsius. I have 2 stock case fans as well and maybe if I replace one of the case fans it will help substitute for the lower rpm cpu fan I will be replacing it with.

The first one, the NF-F12 would be my choice because it is PWM, the other is a 3 pin and simply reports fan speed (it can be controlled with additional software such as speedfan) but I like the PWM for the CPU cooler