Mar 13, 2013
Hi there! First off, my system -

Dell XPS 730H2C
Nforce 790i ultra Sli mobo
Intel Core 2 Extreme Qx9650 3.0Ghz
2x4GB corsair vengeance 1600mhz
Radeon HD7850
Dell 1000W Psu

My question is, I am currently only able to overclock my cpu to about 3.8 Ghz at 1.31v (Using stock H2C liquid) and temperatures are running at about 50-60', pulling errors through prime, and I can't up the Fsb or it will just Bsod, so I have to increase the multiplier alone! likewise with the Ram, I can't up the Fsb even by 1Mhz or it will pull errors, so it's stock 1333.. I am wondering how I could get a more stable overclock, and adjust the Fsb:Dram ratio because its currently at 16:30 :( (7-7-7-16-1T) Also, iv heard that the GTLVREF voltages help a lot too, but I haven't got a clue about them, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I had a similar build. Anyways i only ever got stable @ 3.8. It would run 4ghz but some games randomly crashed as did some benchmarks. Honestly your cpu voltage sounds about right i was able to use one voltage setting lower then yours on my 9650. Make sure speed step is turned off and sometimes disabling hyperthreading can help. Also I had stability issues with running timing 7-7-7-16-1T it crash on occasion but 8-7-7-16-1T and everything was fine. try those and see if they help. If not post complete bios settings and maybe someone can help your further.

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Yes lad!! it's all to do with my ram, after a little tweaking with the timings, prime-95 is still running, with no errors, top answer!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
If you want to get your bus up to 1600mhz so you can link and sync your ram just be sure to set the right multiplier though for your overclock. I had to push my FSB v. up a little by .25 v and on other if i recall by the same. I found i got great gains in my memory bandwidth doing so.

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I am unable to increase the Fsb of my memory, even with 1.8v, 10-12-10-27-2T, as soon as it touches anything above 1333, the system crashes on boot :(

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah but increasing just your memory voltage won't help give you stability, your FSB needs more voltage. your ram volts should not need to be touched actually. remember when you turn your FSB up to 1600 you have to turn your ram down to 1066 (i beleive) to get an effective 1600mhz. If you tinker in the bios you'll see what i mean. its easy to accidently end up with a super high DDR rate when u crank your FSB up.

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Cheers for helping btw dude, but for some reason, with nearly maxed out Fsb, chipset and Cpu voltage, if the ram is any number above, or below 1333, then my system won't boot.. thinking the ram might be foooked -.-

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
might be i had no trouble link and sync at @1600mhz. only had to adjust some of the multipliers to make sure the effective rate was 1600mhz on the ram. if i just left ram 1600mhz then pushed the FSB to 1600 i end up with ddr3 2000mhz if i recall. i crashed a few times before figuring it out. If you boosted your fsb and chipset voltages by .25 and your bus isn't stable then your rame is the likely offender. your ram voltage should be stock if your ram stock speed is 1600. let me know if you figure it out!

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Don't quite understand you mate, if I link&sync at anything above 1333, then the system won't boot, if I leave it unlinked, with Cpu at 1600 and ram at 1333, then all is fine with standard x9 multi, how do I change the multi of the ram? or check the effective rate? I know a decent amount about OC'ing, but still relatively new.. cheers again for this dude

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
http://postimage.org/image/ffrxck8r9/

thought i'd post this for help, currently just using the multiplier because cpu seems VERY unstable atm, let me know if this helps

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i think we can get your ram up to 1600. I had a lot of trouble getting the link and sync to work. have you tried getting your ram to 1600 without link and sync. just boosting your chipset and fsb volts by .25 above stock and keeping ram stock volts with auto set for timings (for now).

henrystom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Nope! tried all voltages nearly to max, and still, it doesn't get past post!! it's weird, instead of Bsod, or instant crash, the windows logo and the border of the page freeze and show loads of random colours.. weird! I guess I'm just gonna keep the ram at 1333, any changes atall and it seems to crash, cheers for helping though lad!