Buildin a gaming computer. Potential Mac convert

Steeeeeve

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
So, my parents are still using our Macs from '07 and don't really mess with computers. Now that I'm older and have my own money I thought it'd be kinda fun to build my own gaming computer so I can play the newer games and MMOs better. However, because we are currently a Mac family, I don't have any parts I could scavenge except a mouse. (side note: I've done some research on the actual building, but I've never even had to install RAM so it's a little intimidating).

Aside from all that, I've done some research on some parts already and am willing to spend (a flexible) $1000 for monitor keyboard and all. I need help deciding what build I should go with to minimize complete overhauling in the future and cost. I found an intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor for $250 which is good because I think it doesn't need the new 2011 motherboard. I also think I want the AMD Radeon 7870 because it has good performance for a decent price.

Other than these things I have almost no idea how to approach this and am nervous about buying incompatible parts and/or ruining parts during building.