New Site Format Performance

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since the change over to the new forum format, we seem to be seeing a large uptick in multi-posts of the same threads and responses/comments.

Also, overall site performance seems to be sluggish. The site does not move as crisply as before.

When can we expect performance to improve? How long do we expect to move through this Microsoft-like user beta phase (you know how MS gets accused of putting products out to consumers before they are ready...a topic of frequent discussion on the forum)?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah.. its kind of strange. I saw double posts on replies every now and then before, but earlier i saw a TRIPLE post.

And I want my post count back... The title would be nice too, but the post count being reset is REALLY annoying.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
It will take a bit of time for caching to catch up, but for the most part, we're seeing load times improve across the board, especially with the ads disabled. I'll pass along the multiple posts issue to the devs - we've certainly seen this before, and usually involves trigger-happy posters or server-side hiccups in the moment.

Badges and post counts will update throughout the day and going into tonight. DiaSin, your post count has returned, and should now reflect the accurate count. Please let me know if this is wrong.

Hi Joe :)

For what its worth... The .co.uk site is a LOT slower now.... I have 100mb download speed so it SHOULD be instantaneous but its definitely slower by around 200 to 300% than it used to be.... although to be fair it was never very fast, even before the change over...

All the best Brett :)

Hi Joe :)

Already done that SEVERAL times since the changeover lol...

NO speed increase...

Its a little worrying for Toms actually as if I am slow with 100 mb , imagine how slow it is with 4 or 8 mb.... :(

I will try tomorrow at one of my shops that only has 8 mb and let you know...

All the best Brett :)

If you feel that posts are missing it may be because the posts are not in order and you need to set the "sort by " drop down menu to created by and not updated by. If you have not changed it then it's currently set at updated by and with that setting you'll see some pretty old threads on the first page.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

What browser are you using? That sounds like a browser issue, not a site issue, I have not seen that happen.

Chrome
Mac :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have seen similar performance lags on Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Haven't tried Safari yet, but will later. Also, our profiles seem to be in a state of flux. Yesterday, all of the legacy badges were available. Today, none (at least when I looked earlier this morning), current or legacy were there.

Also, on the Home Page (Forum Live Feed), changing to the next page (click on the number to advance deeper into the list) often comes up with nothing. It will generally go back to Page 1, though.

Just to check you don't think I'm running a Mac because of my forum name do you ?

Mac :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
BTW, when the new site went active, I took a look at my Private Messages. I was surprised to see every message I ever sent/received going back to 2010 (all had been previously deleted). Now, I am cleaning those out..one..at..a..time! How about a multi-select feature?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
There should no longer be any caching issues server-side - though there might still be some caching issues browser-side. We're still working out a few things about load order and timing, but load time itself is actually improved (though it may not seem so right away).

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I didnt see any point in making a new thread for this.. the issue someone else mentioned of the popup when mousing over someones avatar not going away has begun to appear for me. Maybe add a little X to that popup just to be safe?

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
Hi DiaSin

Thanks for the feedback. We have been able to reproduce this but not all the time : we've added this to the buglist in order to find a way to fix it for good, or at least add a close button. Please bear with us in the meantime.

randomizer

Champion
If you move the mouse cursor inside the popup before it has finished loading then it sticks around, although it is possible to get rid of it again if you get the right mouse movements. The binding of event handlers might not happen if you're too quick, especially if they are attached after some sort of delay. It doesn't appear to happen for user info dialogs that have already been cached, only new ones.